Before I could even consider when the last time it was that I stood out in a crowd, I really have to ask myself what it means to stand out in a crowd; now, are we talking about being the best at something? Are we talking about being recognized for an accomplishment? Are we, in fact, talking about being the person that everybody else wants to be?
I hate to answer any of those questions, to be perfectly honest; it just sounds like I’m tooting my own horn. To stand out in a crowd is to be different from everybody. I don’t want to be different, because that gets you noticed. I like to blend in, and do my thing, and not get noticed all. It’s not that I don’t mind standing out; it’s just that when I stand out, it puts other people in a position below me, conceptually speaking.
For example, at work I often find myself in the position of having to help other people out because I tend to be pretty good at what I do. And I don’t mind helping other people out; that’s the kind of stuff that I live for. But when people start calling me “the Master”, that starts to make me a little uncomfortable. I think deep down, I worry that people will think that I am a little too full of myself.
However, fading into the woodwork – being a little too average, you might say – could be a disadvantage as well. (Side note: If you haven’t seen the movie Idiocracy, I highly suggest you see it, it’s hilarious.) A person who fades into the woodwork probably risks becoming stuck in a rut, whether professionally or otherwise, because most people don’t know who they are or where their talents lie.
So how do we tread that fine line between standing out and being a wallflower? That’s a very good question. Or, how can I excel without feeling self-conscious about the attention? I’m not quite sure; I fight that battle every day. I tell myself “today is the day that I am going to be social. Today is the day that I will walk up to people I do not know and shake their hands, introduce myself, and…” yeah, right. I do tell myself that, but it never goes that way.
Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Daily Prompt: Standout (nograin.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Standout (shalompresidencygurgaon.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Standout (pandaplatter.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Standout (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- 16|8 Daily Prompt: Standout (familyphotosfoodcraft.com)
- Daily Prompt: Standout (dgonzal5.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Standout (kyawsoenaing.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Standout (angloswiss-chronicles.com)
- Daily Prompt: Standout (somethingmonumentalsm.wordpress.com)
- Stand up, Stand down! Wow! Do I want to blend in!?!?! (jennifermarshcurtis.wordpress.com)