First of all, for all you prompt bloggers out there, there is a new writing challenge that can take off if we are willing to help out, called the “What If? writing challenge”. Find it here.
Have you ever seen the movie Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray? I remember having seen it several times when I was younger. I can’t remember what triggers it, or if that’s even explained, but he keeps waking up on the same morning as his alarm clock goes off, and ends up having the same day over and over and over. At first he feels like he’s going crazy, and then he kind of starts to; he tries killing himself at one point, and just ends up waking up in bed again – same bat time, same bat channel. Eventually, he begins to try to do things right, to get the day just right, and in the process he learns to play piano like a crazy virtuoso and falls in love, I think with Andie MacDowell‘s character. The rest is kind of foggy.
So I’m forced to wonder, would I really want to have this chance? Or more to the point – Murray’s character was essentially being held prisoner, a hostage to a single spin of the Earth, with some inexplicit exit clause. Is it any wonder he tried to kill himself? An American P.O.W. soldier is required by the rules to try to escape. When you’re stuck repeating the same day over and over, would you get to that point? I might. Thank goodness it’s not a possibility, right? (knocks on wood)
If I were in there, though, what day would I choose? Oh wait – this is in fact a question of ‘if I had a day to do over. . . ‘ Now that’s a little sneaky. I’m not sure what day I’d do over, and that might be a good thing; let me explain. I’ve screwed up an awful lot in my life. I’d be hard-pressed to pick just one day because where I am now is really a compounded calculation of everything that I have done up to this point, and the farther back you go the more the little things seem to count. Whether I folded my socks or balled them up in 1996 might actually have a significant impact on whether I have a wife or not right now. Consider that. It seems a little out there, but then it’s like, “if you could go back and bang any girl from your past . . . ”
Yeah, I’m not going to play that. It’s a dangerous game for several reasons.
That’s why when I’m approached with a question like this, I like to stay far away; and if I got stuck in this scenario, I’m fairly certain I don’t get a choice as to which day it is, do I? I’m more likely to believe that someone else screwed up a machine meant to bridge between parallel dimensions and now as a result I have to live across every dimension before I can move forward by a single day. Now that would have interesting effects. First of all, what’s the chance I ran across somebody who is already in the know? Well that depends upon if and when someone has entered this particular dimension. It’s like a crapshoot as to whether any one person is living the same day over and over, and then again whether they have figured it out yet. Then there’s the question of fatigue. How many dimensions are there, anyway?
Bad news, guys:
It’s probably infinite.
Ha ha! So which day would I choose? None of them!
Furthermore, is it possible to get life “right”? Let’s put it this way: what is right? What is wrong? Do we have the right to judge, between right and wrong, good and evil, black and white, Coke and Pepsi, Whopper and Big Mac? The fact is, this is why whoever wrote the bible (and don’t answer that if you don’t want my response) put a tree of the knowledge of good and evil right in the middle of the paradisaical Garden of Eden: because certain enlightened disciplines posit that nothing is good and nothing is evil, and putting a label on something does not make it so. When we do that, we only create a source of frustration for ourselves and for others who subscribe to those labels; that is why we DO. NOT. EAT. The FRUIT. The temptation is there, but to give in is the quickest path out of paradise, period.
I like my life. I would change the future by simply stating what I would like to accomplish. I will never, ever, touch the past willingly. If I had a way, I would never use it. In my book, there’s no such thing as right and wrong. Everything simply is, and I try my best to live with love. I’m never perfect, and sometimes it goes somewhat poorly.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day and Happy Father’s Day (littlegirlstory.wordpress.com)
- Three Dogs | We Live In A Flat
- Daily Prompt: Repetition | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Who are you to decide? God? | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day « Mama Bear Musings
- Repetition | The Ambitious Drifter
- “Groundhog Day” | Relax
- Daily Prompt: Repetition « Vicariously Poetic
- No Shadow To Be Seen | Tony’s Texts
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | littlegirlstory
- you only get one day, and one night | Maggie’s Stories
- Resolve, Repeat | a former clarity
- Hello, I’m being. | Upstairs Productions
- The Roads Not Traveled | Kingdom of Sharks
- Repetition | Cofundrum
- There Are No Do-Overs | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt:Groundhog Day | Motherhood and Beyond
- Saturday Centus 176 Meets the Daily Prompt: Rewind | One Starving Activist
- Moving on. | ayimas
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | I really just pretend to know stuff
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | reyoflight
- Tock, Tick Tock | Brianne Writes
- Groundhog Day ((Daily Prompt)) | ♡ sarah ♡
- Quote: Repetition Enhances Precision | Wise Counsel
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Alastair’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Repetition | Her Broken Nibs
- A Flawless Miracle | Daily Observations
- hjjhjhjh… | Aistra Software
- “The end” | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | The Road to Published
- Try Repetition | Wise Counsel
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Heron There & Everywhere
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | BulgingButtons
- daily post – groundhog day | pork juice & paper towels
- What if I could get it right? | Okay, what if ?
- First, I’m Gonna Take Your Stick : Groundhog Day | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- If I could change one thing… | Life & Times
- Daily Post: Two Bridge View | Slam on the Brakes, Pull Over, Take the Picture
- The Card | Everyday Adventures
- Daily Prompt: Do over and over and over? | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Alice’s Adventures in Reality
- Don’t talk to me about Groundhog Day. « RPMAS
- And so she walked out of my life forever. | On Gorgeousness
- Daily Prompt; Groundhog Day | terry1954
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: I Got You, Babe! | cinnwriterblog
- Groundhog Day | The Nameless One
- Learning through repetition. | A Girl with a Piano
- Farnsworth Says: Introduction and Repetition | azevedo’s reviews
- Driven: Groundhog Day – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- My Groundhog Day | Resident Alien — Being Dutch in America
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Not The Sword But The Pen
- …and Just Like That, Love is Gone | My Beautiful Breakdown
- Why Are You Special?||If I Could Repeat A Day… | Mind My Mind But…
- Just Us Now | The Novice Gardener
- S. Thomas Summers | The Importance of a Toy Box
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Ned Ryerson . . . BING! | meanderedwanderings
- Seen that. . . really? | marsowords
- Repetition’s Variation | See Diving
- Practice Makes Perfect? | Bright Tuesday
- Personal Challenge: Writing a Novel! | Polyprotic Amory
- Dwelling in a Garden of Rotting Vegetables (Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day) | Running with Reality
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | My Atheist Blog
- Pinay New Yorker | Daily Prompt: Getting life right
- Daily Prompt:Groundhog Day | Danny James
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | The Land Slide Photography
- The Day Forever Changed | Wiley’s Wisdom
- I’m No Perfectionist | djgarcia94
- The day I would most like to repeat… | cherryblossomfairy
- Do Over | loveletterstoaghost
- WordPress Daily Prompt: Repetition. | Each Peach Pear Plum
- Believe, Do, Repeat | genusrosa
- Tick Tock *Yawn* | In Harmony
- Good morning sunshine | 2 times pink
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | The Fountain
Very well done, Rob. I didn’t think of it that way. It would be awful to be stuck repeating some things, and if I did change something, how would that affect now? I enjoyed your post. It made me think.
😀 I’ll tell you what, making even one person think just makes my day. Thanks for reading and commenting!
I agree 100%. None of them is the only answer I could come up with as well.
Thanks for the mention on the What if challenge. Appreciated your post and your support.
You bet, I’m looking forward to more! (and I’ve still got that other one saved up for the near future.)
No do overs. I use my pass as a teaching tool with my two daughters. Good and bad. Great read!
Thanks, and thanks for reading and commenting!