Sometimes I sit back and think about the kind of things I might stand for if I were one of those super-rich dudes like Bill Gates. You know the type; they’re so wealthy and set up that they can just sit back and watch their money roll in, but who just does that? They have to have a life and so some of these people turn to funding and working for causes to keep them busy in between meeting with royalty and hanging out with rock stars. Plus, there’s a sort of curve to making money where at some point you profit more if you start to give some of it away. That’s where philanthropy comes in.
But let’s start small and just assume that my daily responsibilities were taken care of and I had that kind of leisure time to really throw myself behind a cause. What would it be? Good question! I’ve got a couple of possibilities stewing in my nugget here.
You see, my hidden agenda in those endeavors would be to find a way to go surfing while also throwing myself behind a cause. So I figured, what are those causes where surfing might be prevalent? I can go work with children in Africa, which I think would be awesome; plus I would have the opportunity to see African wildlife up close and personal. Then I can sing “we got ze Rob Ross | only in Kenya.” I can teach, or I can do relief work like passing out crackers or something. I’m pretty flexible in that area.
My other idea is that I can work to keep beaches clean, and facilitate recycling programs, spread awareness about pollution and that huge whirlpool
n of plastic bottles and debris in the ocean, the North Pacific Garbage Patch.
I think in overarching terms, environmentalism would be my cause because surfers are typically environmentalist by virtue of their pastimes. But I’m already a recycling junkie, and I’m already a surfing wannabe, so I think the two go together pretty well.
If I had nothing to worry about, that is exactly what I would be doing.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause (politicalreligions.wordpress.com)
- My cause | Renato Vasconcellos David
- Goodbye August, Hello September | Ramisa the Authoress
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | My Amphitheater
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause – Visit to an Old Age Home with Orphanage Kids on Friendship Day
- Enough is Enough | The Dirty Word
- Daily Prompt ~ Help! | Misifusa’s Blog
- Many a Possibility | Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Under the Monkey Tree
- Unconventional School | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Blogger with a Cause | Icezine
- We are all in this together: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- What About The Children? | Prayers and Promises
- Blogger With a Cause | Geek Ergo Sum
- Bridge (help) | photo potpourri
- Helping Kids Be Kids [Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause] | unknowinglee
- How To Solve Poverty (Monorhyme Sonnet) | Liars, Hypocrites & The Development of Human Emotion
- A cause? How about education? « RPMAS
- daily prompt – lend a hand | pork juice & paper towels
- “Helping Even One Child” | Spirit Lights The Way
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause. Not. | SERENDIPITY
- No Man’s Silver Or Gold (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Help | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- School Board | Conversations
- The Business of Helping Others | Molly Greye
- Daily Prompt: Causes – Fire/EMS | Jottings and Writings
- Play my arm like a violin | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause – SPREAD THE LOVE | littlegirlstory
- Reading for a cause | A mom’s blog
- Cause and Effect | Life & Times
- Help! I need somebody! | Everyday Adventures
- 162. Blogger with a Cause | kevindeisher
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Completely Disappear
- Innocent Victims of Wars | Blognovic’s Weblog
- Innocent Victims of Wars | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | My Atheist Blog
- Pup With a Cause… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Are You Mission Lead | Emotional Fitness
- I Give You the Power to Ask…..(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Help | Flowers and Breezes
- Causes | Going New Places!
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: ‘Cuz | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause » My Life, My Way, My Words
- If Only I Could Do More | f8 and Be There
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | A Western Buddhist’s Travels
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Ruminations from an Introvert
- Out To Pasture | Cowgirl Up!
- “Blogger With a Cause” | Relax
- Blogger With a Cause | The Nameless One
- The Blog of a Sassy Pony » Blogging with a cause
- pay it forwards | Her Broken Nibs
- Exclusive: A sneak peek at my forthcoming book “Running Naked With Pheasants” | The not really news blog
- But I’m Already Living My Cause | Untitled Entity
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause, Ending Sex Trafficking in America | College Girl Dai
- Super Rant Alert! The Daily Prompt presses my DO NOT PRESS button! | An Upturned Soul
- Will That Be Medium, Large, Bucket Or Trough? | Eve Livingston, Ph.D.
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause « The Blogging Path
- I Love Writing | Wise Counsel
- Effects of a Cause | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | Vagabond
- You can’t save the world, but you can save someone! | My thoughts on a page.
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause 4 Wheel 2 Heal | Kelly’s Life
- Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause | To Breathe is to Write
- S. Thomas Summers | Help!!!!
- Daily Post – My Chosen Cause | awritersfountain
- Cause 1…Type 1 that is | Why yes, yes I do
- New post Daily Prompt: Blogger With a Cause 3|9 | familyphotosfoodcraft.com
- You Are My Cause | Mind My Mind But…
- Fear | Nameless Non-ficton
- Be + Cause = Because You Can | Cheri Speak
- Daily prompt // help | simplylifestuff
- Revolution : Blogger With A Cause | thanks for letting me autograph your cat