I’ve done this before, I told myself. It’s not a problem. And yet when I stood in front of a class of teenagers with a very competent lesson plan in my hand, my stomach tied itself up in knots and my heart quailed. Later on, I chalked it up to performance anxiety.
The thing is, I’m not really afraid of anything; and I have done this before. I acted for two and a half years in high school theater. I hosted an open mic night for two years at a café in my hometown. I got up there every week and played the same songs over and over again; I’m fairly certain some of those people wanted to kill me, but that did not stop me.
Back to the high school theater though: really, I think I would make a great actor, but that’s not what I feel like I want to do with my life. So I’m not chasing it. But I’ll get on the stage fearlessly, and I have done so several times in my life. So what happened to that confidence when I tried to teach a lesson plan in my practicum? I can’t tell you; maybe I just changed. Or maybe it was the unfamiliar context.
Years later, when we had a theater reunion at my high school, my old friend Bryan said that he wouldn’t go because he spent most of high school in the theater and never landed a big part. He was actually bitter about that, and for a moment I felt his bitterness too; but then it passed as I realized how selfish and petty it must be to feel that way. I was happy in the theater. And really, aren’t all of the parts important?
I mean, they take the time and effort to cast them all, and certainly they wouldn’t waste time on casting unnecessary parts. Not to mention that no matter what your role, you still get the full-on theater experience – all the practices and rehearsals, the make up and set construction, the cast party and the camaraderie. So really, both in life and in the theater, it’s not about the prominence of the roles we play, but how seamlessly we fit into the big picture, capisce?
That’s why I recently passed up the opportunity to apply for the lead position in my department at work – instead of focusing on the glory of being “the boss” – if you can call it that – I decided that it just isn’t for me at this time. I like playing the bit part in my department, which really isn’t a bit part per se. Plus, I recognized that the lead role in the department comes with increased stress, extra hours, and just a whole bunch of crap that I didn’t want to deal with. Besides, I do a great job at what I do, and I don’t think the company would benefit from losing me in that position. No matter how many people ask me to apply, I’m not going to do it.
My point is, if someone isn’t comfortable in a certain milieu – including in front of others – then perhaps they’re not playing their proper role. Or maybe they need to adjust to the new role! Heaven knows whenever I start a new job it’s like venturing into the wilds of the Bavarian Black Forest in a Grimm fairy tale, and all those unknown co-workers are potentially dangerous wolves and bears. Now that’s a little nervy.
But regardless of where we find ourselves, the fact is that each of us is a powerfully burning star, regardless of where we sit in the night sky or how faint the light appears to those who see it. Make sure you enjoy it while it lasts, because every star eventually burns out!
And don’t let that stop you from having a good time!
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Gloves | Bright Moments Catcher
- Lots of details | Bright Moments Catcher
- Shadow on the wall | Bright Moments Catcher
- I said Walk, not Stop… | We Live In A Flat
- Daily Prompt: Public | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Hymen | shame
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | Under the Monkey Tree
- i had the naked dream again… | wannabepoet
- All Eyes On Me [Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompt: hide me away | storyofmylife1993
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks « Mama Bear Musings
- Memorization: Works Outside of Class Only | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Naked? With Socks? In Public? No Cops? Bring it On. | lessthanthreechickens
- Overcoming The Fear Of Public Speaking | The Jittery Goat
- Comfort really depends on the situation. « RPMAS
- Nude Speaking! | alienorajt
- Naked with Black Socks? Oh no, wait…it’s not. | thoughtsofrkh
- Give Me A Crowd | Tony’s Texts
- daily prompt: naked with black socks | r | one studio architecture
- I like to be on stage rather in audiencce | મન ની વાત
- The Elegance of Being Eloquent | MC’s Whispers
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | genieve celada | photography
- Daily Prompt: Naked | horsesofthesun
- the UNCATEGORISED |Daily Prompt: PUBLIC | the TRASH BASH
- THE NAKED TRUTH | Dear Yolandi
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | My Atheist Blog
- Hot and Fluid, Like I Was On Fire With Anxiety | sayanything
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | life n me!
- I Don’t Have A Problem Telling It To Your Face… With A Smile | Molly Greye
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: Naked with black socks | Exploring Utah with MS and Apples
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | Jasper Smits
- Not now | Life is great
- Daily Prompt : Naked with black socks | Valley Girl Gone Country
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | lifebeinggirly
- DP: Naked with Black Socks | A Blog’s Life
- Quiet and Intensely Private, Publicly Speaking | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Public: MOUNTAIN MAN RENDEZVOUS | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Daily Post Challenge – Thinking of them in their underwear doesn’t help one bit. | Reinvention of Mama
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | Lux
- The Perils of Public Speaking | Just Visiting This Planet
- Camera Shy | Conversations
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Gotta Wanna | CurTales
- “Manners maketh man” | Hope* the happy hugger
- Becoming more comfortable with public speaking | Curious Jac
- If You Have a Blog… You’re Naked and Loving It (sometimes reluctantly) | An Upturned Soul
- Willie Wednesday Goes Public! The Post that Gives You The Willies. | Janey Macken Street!
- Private Speaking! | suhaaandiaries
- Look pretty, talk smart. | Crossroads
- No Way To Hide | Flowers and Breezes
- With or without the mic, that’s the question | The Nameless One
- So you want to be in a female dance troupe ? | The Land Slide Photography
- Really? Naked with black Socks?? | It’s a Fine Line
- The Otter in my Jotter
- Presentation | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | Vagabond
- We are free | vicbriggs’s Blog
- The ugly F | Romelga writes
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | The Daily Post | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | College Girl Dai
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | Let There be Peace on Earth
- Daily Prompt: To Shy or Not to Shy | One Starving Activist
- Public Speaking? Oh please… (don’t make me do it!) | Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Exactly? I don’t know.
- No need for that silliness | djgarcia94
- “Naked with Black Socks” | Extraordinary Living Blogs
- Hitting the Switch | Cheri Speak
- Naked with Black Socks – Socially Connected
- Daily Prompt: Public, music anywhere, everywhere | @ The West Gate
- Public | Sincerely, Ms. Roberts
- Daily Prompt: Legs Wide Open (Straddling the Myers Briggs) | and yadda yadda yadda…i made aliyah
- Daily Prompt; Naked With Black Socks | terry1954
- Duncan the Sushi Roll #12 | Neva Samaki
- Daily Prompt: Naked with Black Socks | Steve Says….
- Pinay New Yorker | Daily Prompt: In the Spotlight
- Xenoclokeion Pancosmopolitanicon, or, the public and The Great Exhibition of 1851 | James Clegg
- Daily Prompt: the naked truth | Tell Tale Therapy
- I would love to learn the art of good story telling !! | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Daily Prompt – Naked with Black Socks | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Suicide no. 13: Naked Dream | derekalanwilkinson
- Naked With Black Socks… definitely an interesting image | Nothing is more beautiful than a smile