The tyger that traipses, hunting
That peace, the meat of my soul –
Tail swishing, mind cunning; counting
The days til it’s eaten me whole.
Tales wishing, found running, sounding
The drumbeat of retreat!
Tyger burning, inside yearning, pounding
Through cadence of my feet.
Tread lightly, my boy –
Truth need not always be told.
The trap is set when
Trail grows cold, yet
Tyger attacks not
Til tyger’s forgot…
Tim stopped reciting and cocked his ear. Time in agonizing seconds slipped softly as the sigh of the breeze rustled the leaves trimmed darkly on velvet–faded trees. “There’s something’s in the woods,” he said.
“The leaves,” chimed Tracy.
Tony shrugged. “Critters.”
“Tina’s gone to pee,” Tracy said. “Totally her.”
“That’s it,” Tony agreed.
Tina emerged from the night, right on cue. Tracy opened her mouth to speak, as though to say, “see?” Then she stopped. Tina’s head hung low – dark fruit with a darker pit – eyes hidden in shadow. Tattered hair hung limply around slumped shoulders, unloosed from her braid. They all stopped, hearts and all, as the last of her crept free of the shadows; and they saw what she was holding. Tracy began to shriek, over and over. Tim was frozen; Tony scrambled to run.
Their screams went unheard by any other among the living.
TEENS FOUND BRUTALLY MUTILATED
Toby Paulson, Associated Press – October 1st, 2013
Temple Point – The remains of four teenagers reported missing last Wednesday were located yesterday morning by a local ranger in the Temple Park woods near I-75. They were discovered after the SUV owned by one of the teenagers was found parked in a nearby clearing, Morrison County sheriff’s spokesman Aaron Mattson said in a statement.
The youths’ deaths were being investigated as a possible homicide, Mattson said, but he wasn’t ruling out a wild animal; he provided no additional information and did not return a call for a comment. The investigation is ongoing and more details will be released as it progresses.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Daily Prompt : Fearful Symmetry | Experimental Fiction
- Fearful Symmetry « Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry | Under the Monkey Tree
- ❄ ❅ ❆ Snowflakes, Tell Me Why You Are… | SoundEagle
- I [Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompt or not. « RPMAS
- Challenge Accepted | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Glowing Symmetry | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Alienora Armageddon | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry -Flowers | I see beauty all around by rob paine
- Fearful Symmetry | Kate Murray
- A pep talk for October | Never Stationary
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmerty | BulgingButtons
- A Fearful Symmetry – Jeffrey Smart’s Vision | The Ambitious Drifter
- Rough Bark (Symmetry) | photo potpourri
- ••R-1st-Infinity•• (Poem) | mët•aRVhëë•n✪ia
- Jabberwalky | Good2begone
- Knock, knock | Sue’s Trifles
- L. | Crossroads
- I Would Love To Be A Cloud | Flowers and Breezes
- Symmetry at 650 Feet Below the Kansas Prairie | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Faddish it sure is | crookedeyebrows
- X-Factor (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry « Mama Bear Musings
- Pitfall | The Plexi Pixie
- This Poem Brought To You By The Letter S | Stuphblog
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry – Poem – Carneika is.. | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- Storm | Spunky Wayfarer
- Q | JC Bride ~
- Symmetry | We Live In A Flat
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry – A is for Autum | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry | Random Blotches
- Daily Prompt: Symmetry | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Cunning plan | dawnyhosking
- An Artist: | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- ‘L’ | Journey to the Centre of My Heart
- B is for Bravo! | Virginia Views
- What a Poem! | A mom’s blog
- Bob’s Bouncing Birthday Bundle. | decidinglybob
- I am a robot | Completely Disappear
- It Must Be October | To Pursue Happiness
- the wheelbarrow | Inkbelle
- One Starving Activist
- Geek Games | my words are alive
- Fearful Symmetry – S is for Strangers | 40again’s Blog
- Symmetry: The Better Half | Just Visiting This Planet
- Fearful Symmetry … | Khana’s Web
- Halloween is… | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Jenny | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Daily Prompt; Fearful Symmetry | terry1954
- I’m gonna sit right down and write myself a letter | Life is great
- Purple… | Haiku By Ku
- A | Lost in Adeline’s
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily post- Symmetry | gypsy thoughts ..
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry | lifebeinggirly
- M | Ripples of Truth
- Fearful Symmetry – S is for Strangers | The Blog Farm
- Daily Prompt: Fearful Symmetry | My Atheist Blog
- Karmic Kayaking | Kayaking 101 and other Gorgeous Paddles
- W | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily PRompt: FeaRful SymmetRy | Awl and Scribe
- Fearful Symmetry | The Nameless One
- Lonely Pier | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Sorry | The Otter in my Jotter
- Power in Practice | Winding Road
- The Sea | Barefoot on Rainy Days
- Reflection, Gormley Style | Travel with Intent
- “Fearful Symmetry” | Relax
- Jim & Julia’s Jay Jay Jingle | Neva Samaki
- Hello wordsplay | Her Broken Nibs
- Autumn Romance | Along Life’s Road
- The L Word | Better Than Reality
- Well We’ll See | Perfecting Patty
- J Hunting J | James Clegg
- Daily-prompt-Symmetry | View From The Third eye
- Brought To You By The Letter Q | Fish Of Gold
- Balance | CurTales
- Writing Prompt 1.10.13 | Paint Me Anything
- A Fight | heathervoid
- Fearful: create a fabulous future | Melanie Ryding – Ryding2Health BLOG
- “Night” Daily Prompt | Finicky Philly
- High Trestle Bridge | Sassy HAT Designs