Do you ever procrastinate at the start of writing something because you’re not sure how to start?
I’m not talking about anything so terrible as that dreaded writers’ block; but just that variable moment of hesitation before the first word takes shape. Sometimes we can dive right in as soon as we start, and then sometimes we meander, trying to find a place in the developing prose.
That’s how I view the changing of the seasons – moving through transitional spring or autumn toward extreme summer or winter. These periods are ripe with vacillations: temperature swings, wide variations in cloud cover, cold mornings and sunny, warm afternoons.
It’s like the climate can’t make up its mind; partly that’s frustrating because I dress warm, in long sleeves and a jacket in the morning only to find myself uncomfortably warm later in the day.
Anyone in those climates prone to snowy winters can relate to the sense of seasonal malaise I tend to get around February, when it feels like the winter has lasted far too long and the spring is still too far off; but I find that this year I have grown to feel this way about summer, too. I love the heat, but I have grown weary of hot summer days. I long for cool breezes; overcast, gray skies; chilly mornings, and nights snuggled up under blankets. Jacket and cap weather. Wooly weather.
I’m glad autumn is here, but the transition to winter is a bit frustrating; I’m fulfilled some days, or parts of some days, and others make me want to go back inside, shut the curtains and listen to “Baby It’s Cold Outside.” I can’t dress appropriately without coming off like an aging grunge fan.
I’d rather go out my waistcoat with my mustache waxed, that would make me feel less self-conscious – less grungy, too.
If you tried to give me another week of summer I would do my best to give it right back. I’m done with heat, gardening, mowing the grass, and trimming the shrubbery for another year. I’m ready for raking and bagging leaves and – unfortunately – pine needles. I would like to clean out the gutters, if I had a ladder. Pretty soon I’ll be ready to shovel snow, rake the roof, and park in the garage.
This year I’m ready for Old Man Winter, so you may as well get on with the fall!
What do you think: are you done with the summer, or would you take another week of it? What are you looking forward to in the coming weeks and months, or what would you miss about the passing season?
this post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Light on the other side | Inside my glitching mind
- Red berries | Inside my glitching mind
- Make your lady happy | Inside my glitching mind
- Walking in an Autumn Wonderland | A String of Pearls
- Mid-Season Replacement | Geek Ergo Sum
- Seasons | Motherhood and Beyond
- 11 Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | Under the Monkey Tree
- Seasons | The Magic Black Book
- Golden Tree | While I breathe, I hope.
- To everything a season | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement – FOREVER FALL | SERENDIPITY
- Changing seasons | Sue’s Trifles
- No, I’m not a fan of this at all | thoughtsofrkh
- It’s Good To Live Again [Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement] | unknowinglee
- I messed up, big time. | I’m just Super Saiyan
- Barely Right of Center
- wish | yi-ching lin photography
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | Awl and Scribe
- The Haunt of Red October | Beth Byrnes
- The Falling Leaves… | Fika After Fifty Digital Photography and Art
- Morning Dew | Vampire Maman
- Orange Leaves (Seasons) | photo potpourri
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | littlegirlstory
- New Season’s Greetings Postponed | tuckedintoacorner
- Fall beauty conundrum « Welcome to Forgotonia
- new season | hitting a brick wall
- Ain’t no sunshine | The verbal hedge
- Falling Into A New Season | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. What it means to me. | Celia Micklefield -writer in Languedoc
- Suddenly it’s Autumn in Montreal | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- Four Seasons | Ripples of Truth
- “Seasons” | Relax
- Today it Rained | Barefoot on Rainy Days
- Moving | Muddy River Muse
- Daily Prompt: Mid Season | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Fall Brings Hope (Short Story) | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | The Story of a Guy
- Tis the season to be cold! | Kate Murray
- If Seasons Didn’t Change | Flowers and Breezes
- To Write With a Broken Pencil is Pointless
- Fall Into Autumn | Stuphblog
- Mid-Season replacement…yeah not here!!! | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Falling Leaves… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | On My Front Porch
- Gentle Weather | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Falling For Autumn « froodian pseudoanalysis
- A Vanish’d Cold | Random Blotches
- Changing Lanes: Reminders of Autumn | Just Visiting This Planet
- Changing Seasons | A New Day
- Seasons, what seasons? – CombatBabe
- Cold Cravings | Not Enough Poetry
- Seasons | andthatgotmethinking
- The two seasons | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | Purple Rosemary
- Transition | Sarah Vee
- Winter Solstice | Sarah Vee
- I’ll Wait On The Rain | Perfecting Patty
- Change is Usually Welcome | djgarcia94
- Leaves of Season Past | marsowords
- When will winter come? | The Nameless One
- FINDING JANE, starring Dougray Scott | vicbriggs’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement – The Return of the Leaf Soldiers | The Cat Chronicles
- AGING: SEASONING OR SEASON? | Emotional Fitness
- Seasons are not my thing any more | RPMAS
- Moving On. | ayimas
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement/Seasons | Drive-By Photos
- Change Is In The Air | Bright Tuesday
- Razz’s Wisdom: Mid-Season Replacement from Daily Post… | serendipity reads
- Daily Prompt Oct 11 | Jottings and Writings
- The Great Pumpkin | A Wandering Writer
- Moving into Autumn: photo challenge 11th Ocotber 2013 | Pseu’s Blog
- It’s getting cold | Rock it classy
- Try to remember | Life is great
- Write Now! 11 October 2013 Meets The Daily Prompt: The Old Switcheroo | One Starving Activist
- Nature’s Moods | tinypurpleme
- Octoburrrrrr | Apologies and Honesty
- Daily Prompt: Seasons | The Voice from the Backseat
- Mid-season shift | The life of T
- Reason For The Season | scottishmomus
- Summer me, winter me | Neva Samaki
- A train in the night – a daily prompt on seasons | Indexyourlife
- New This Fall Season | Edward Hotspur
- Daily Prompt: Mid-Season Replacement | The Daily Post « Flynn’s Pause
- Seasons of You | JC Bride ~