How good is your memory for first experiences?
If you’re anything like me, you’ve already forgotten it by the time you’ve gotten it right; your first day at school is eclipsed by all the different memories you’ve made of pep rallies and theatre rehearsals, or soccer games; your first day as a parent is swallowed by the memories of your child learning to walk, to talk, to kiss, and blow bubbles with their spit; your first time blogging is obscured by milestones and achievements, the posts that stunned you with silence and those that baffled you with popularity – not to mention all the good bloggers who come and go, comprising your blog family.
For me, it seems that a lot of first times have been lost to the mists of memory, and yet this does nothing to mitigate the sheer importance of first times:
First times set precedents. They start the ball rolling on what you’re doing, sure – but there’s more to it than that. The first time I changed a car tire I had only seen it done before, but I jumped in and got it done. This one act sets a precedent for boldly going forth where no practical experience exists. A lot of people will shy away from doing new things, especially older ones. We saw a lot of that while the computer revolution was building up steam; some are afraid of change and some are afraid of failure. But kids do new stuff all the time, so why can’t we, am I right? In short, dare to do the new and you’ll find courage you never knew about.
First times set the stage. the first time you do something it’s almost never perfect, but it gives you something to go on. It gives you a baseline outcome that you can work with, whereas if you don’t try you definitely have failed to do it. There’s no way to improve that except to do it.
First times create opportunities for us to cultivate positive habits. Once you have your baseline, you can take that result and analyze it. Think about what you did that worked, what you could have done better, how the outcome and your action affected others – if you approach this task with humility and the view that it’s okay to be imperfect, you’ll get yourself in the habit of striving for improvement, thus assuring your future awesomeness.
That being said, there’s a reason why I’m not so good at remembering firsts: because I have a quality bias, and I like to celebrate my own awesomeness. Maybe that’s self-centered, but I don’t mind because I know that at the end of the post I’m doing what’s best for everyone else by focusing on making it great and leaving the firsts in the mists of memory.
What do you think, am I crazy for not worrying about remembering my firsts? Now that I’m a blogger I might get more neural oomph by writing it down, so there’s that. I’ll give you two, in brief: I remember meeting my wife in the repair shop at Eckroth Music, and feeling that movement where you know something good is in the air; and I remember the first time I held my daughter, when she was born, and thinking that she looked like an angry bird.
The red one.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: First! – Day at Work
- Daily Prompt: First! | Under the Monkey Tree
- Queen of the universe for a week | Now Have At It!
- away from home | Inkbelle
- The great obscurian novel | Beth Byrnes
- Daily Prompt : First ! | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- It’s not first or last it’s whole Journey | મન ની વાત
- First Day Back | Mary Angelini Photography
- What’s Funny About Not Going To Kindergarten? | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: First! | veryvanessalynn
- Home. Sweet Home | Nature Activities
- Loading film into Zenit-8 camera | Bright Moments Catcher
- my first day as your mommy | wannabepoet
- Good walk | Nature Activities
- First day in WP (First Poem Posted) | ⓜ∈t•ⓐRVh∈∈•n✪iⓐ
- our bodies are made | y
- Pretty lady | Tess Arts
- Bottles | Tess Arts
- First | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- “First!” | Relax
- Shopino of Belgorod Region, Russia. January 8, 2012 | Bright Moments Catcher
- First day post attack | alienorajt
- [Round Two O.C.T.O.B.E.R XXX] TBT pre-empt: “First!” | noah121weiss
- My First Day as a Submissive | submissivelysecret
- Always First | Tony’s Texts
- Daily Prompt/ First time seeing a Praying Mantis | sweetwildflower
- Да будет свет! |
- A good story | Life is great
- Ordering a drink in the buff… | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: First! | Being a Huntress
- FIRST TAIL-COAT | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Hi Dad, it’s Marty! #6 | Neva Samaki
- A special day | Motherhood and Beyond
- Dawning of My Blog | tuckedintoacorner
- Daily Prompt: First! | The Story of a Guy
- Some firsts are better forgotten | Dear Yolandi
- Daily Prompt: First! | The Fountain
- Daily Prompt: First! | My Atheist Blog
- Prints on the Shore (Beginning) | photo potpourri
- My first time doing “public speaking” | I’m just Super Saiyan
- First Day of School | A mom’s blog
- how i found my visual handwriting | Between the lines
- [DAILY PROMPT] First. | hellofathia
- DP: First! | The Deepwater Goldfish
- Today’s that day. Daily Prompt: First! | Reinvention of Mama
- I am a writer | myself through writing
- In the Beginning… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: First Qigong Lesson | 61 Musings
- Trifecta of Naughtiness | sayanything
- 1st Grade Seating | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: First! | Awl and Scribe
- The Firsts….. | contemplatorme
- My First Time | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: First! | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- One | Fruit Salad
- It All Started With Love | Prayers and Promises
- To Hear The Poem of Creation | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Flying Solo | Callejas Thinks
- A Happy Birthday To Me | Flowers and Breezes
- Stuck In The Middle | Just Visiting This Planet
- First day, first friend | From Five to Fifty
- DAILY PROMPT: ON A FIRST DAY WHEN I WAS SO SMALL … | SERENDIPITY
- The First day | thinkerscap
- A New Beginning to an Old Town (dailyprompt) | Through Finger Tips
- Mirror mirror in the papers . . . | The Visionary Hollow
- First Day Of School After A Traumatic Head Injury | Fish Of Gold
- The first time I met you | viver para contar
- Peter Pan or Miley Cyrus ? | the truth should be free
- In the Beginning….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: First! | A Little Sip of Lemmon-ade
- My First | Real Life Co.
- My very first day | Processing the life
- My First Day at Public School | cowcrzy
- Untitled | The Magic Black Book
- First Trip | Memoirs of an Amiss Angel
- A Mother’s Love | My Bipolar Life
- Wonder Wednesday Presents: HALLOWEEEEEEN DANCE PARTY!!!!!! | Light Words
- First minutes as a mother… | alienorajt
- When I held her | The Corned Beef Hashtag
- A First Time for Anything and Everything | cagedbutterfly1
- DAILY PROMPT: FIRST | thoughts and entanglements
- Daily Prompt: First-The Beginnings of a Surfer | Wahine Wednesdays
- First Day, She Helped! | 365 Days of Thank You
- The First Time To Hear . . . It’s A Girl! | meanderedwanderings
- First! Transformed Instantly into a Mother | mother of nine9
- Moving on up and moving on out | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Beginnings | Slow and steady
- 30: Daily Prompt: First! | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt: First! | Reckless Abandon
- Daily Prompt : Beginning | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
And my youngest now makes comments on my blogs since yesterday with the name Son Nr. 2. Those angry birds grow up and learn fast.
Some days she gets so angry I just want to fling her at a pig!
Thoughtful post, as usual. That’s what I appreciate about your responses to prompts – you often go beyond the “usual” and probe it.
Remembering firsts – heh – so many of my “firsts” have long since been filed, and replaced by newer firsts, or just stuff. Only the really truthful – meaningful and “important” ones sit in the brain box. So you’re not alone. 🙂
I have a feeling that’s the brain’s prerogative – and that people who place a high value on unique experiences will remember more firsts than a picky person like me. 😉
[…] Pingback: Angry Birds and the Mists of Memory | Rob's Surf Report […]
[…] Angry Birds and the Mists of Memory | Rob’s Surf Report […]
[…] should be freePeter Pan or Miley Cyrus ? Daily ObservationsIn the Beginning….(wp daily prompt) Rob’s Surf ReportAngry Birds and the Mists of Memory A Little Sip of Lemmon-adeFirst! Real Life Co.My First Processing the lifeMy very first day […]