Do you have emotions that run rampant at a moment’s notice?
I think everyone has areas of emotion where, when events carry beyond a certain threshold of normality, they get more or less . . . intense. For me, it’s anger; maybe it’s the ancient Scottish blood coursing through my veins, because when I get angry I become a force to be reckoned with.
As in, you don’t want to see what I can do with a deer antler.
Okay, so maybe I’m not quite that bad. In the past, however, I have on several occasions reduced people to walking on pins and needles around me — handling me with kid gloves, just to throw another cliché in the pot. I’m not proud of that and I don’t want to be in that place, so I analyze it and put it behind me every time. You can’t change history, after all. Nowadays I tend to keep a cooler head, and when it blows up it doesn’t surprise me, it just really disappoints me. That’s another reason to forget about it.
I’ve learned through introspection that a large part of emotional intelligence lies in identifying those emotions that can cause harm in our lives, then figuring out how to control them; but can anger also be harnessed to my advantage? I wonder . . .
What do you think? Can negative emotions be turned to a good purpose? Have you any experience with that?
Also, I would like to announce that I am now a published author. I have sixteen stories in a flash fiction anthology, and my name is even on the cover! You can find it by clicking the book in the sidebar here, or go to the bookstore at redmundpro.com and look for FTP5: Finding the Path. Every purchase gets me some payola!
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Why does my dog hump other people/dogs? | We Live In A Flat
- False Labour Pains
- Autumn colours (Intense) | photo potpourri
- Rural Tourism in Russia. Accordion player | Rural Tourism in Russia
- Cat in the window | Bright Moments Catcher
- A year of writing and a birthday | Now Have At It!
- Cooking fish | Bright Moments Catcher
- That’s a Hard Limit | submissivelysecret
- Balalaika | Nature Activities
- Intense, like no other | Never Stationary
- Daily Prompt: Intense! | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Intense! | Awl and Scribe
- intensity huh? | wannabepoet
- The Real Me | Life Confusions
- Intense | The Magic Black Book
- Horse Hill | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Stolen bests | shame
- Daily Prompt: Intense! | My Atheist Blog
- Intense care : Need of the hour | Processing the life
- intense | yi-ching lin photography
- Intensity – A very short post | Neva Samaki
- My Shampoo Tried to Kill Me | Get Write Down To It
- Transformation | crookedeyebrows
- The First Experience of an American in a Russian Banya | Rural Tourism in Russia
- Escalator Etiquette | The verbal hedge
- Separation Anxiety | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Daily Prompt Intense: http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/daily-prompt-intense/ | Kawanee’s Korner
- Intensity of feeling? The end of WordPress.com | RPMAS
- Intense Sunset | Misifusa’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Intense! | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Intense | The Temenos Journal
- Daily Prompt: Intense | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- intense | sarahscapes
- 211. Intensity Over Abortion | Barely Right of Center
- No rest 4 the weary | not4faintheartsblog
- Daily Prompt: Intense November 2013 ~ NaBloPoMo ~ #4 « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Grawr! | One Starving Activist
- NO!vember | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- DP Challenge: One Intense Pit Bull « Morning Pages
- André from Holland | Deadline – An intense experience
- Intense | Lunatic Writing
- I Didn’t Use To Be A Sobber | Momma Roars
- Too Intense: I Think Not! | Dear Yolandi
- BLACK | JC Bride ~
- Intensity? | Fruit Salad
- Why so intense, Surfer Rob? | Rob’s Surf Report
- INTENSE! | thoughts and entanglements
- Intensity at its acme? | Eye of Lynx
- Those intervals between days | tjbarkerseattle
- Jupiter Rising | Just Visiting This Planet
- Intensity… | Haiku By Ku
- Batman should not be the only one fighting crime | MC’s Whispers
- I’m in tears | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Life Is Intense | My Daily Prompt Blog
- The Stare Down……. | The Land Slide Photography
- The Intense Joy | Flowers and Breezes
- Unavailable | Kansa Muse
- Beans on toast and a woolly jumper… | On My Front Porch
- Fulfilling Promises to a Ghost | Cheri Speak
- Lawn Care | Danny James
- The Playground Bully | A mom’s blog
- Science and Humanities: Bridging Gaps | Blue Loft
- Response to daily prompt: | The life of one woman…
- Daily Post: Intense | Destino
- The hurricane’s eye | Historiefortelling
- That’s Intense | Winging it
- Meet the Sun | Love The Bees
- Daily Prompt: Intensity – Surprisingly delighted by yoga app | Nicki
- Daily Prompt: Intense! | Ruminations from an Introvert
- Intense meltdown to reality | Inside of love
- The Day I Emptied My Desk | mathispayne
- And the remote went on an almost supersonic flight… | thoughtsofrkh
- Wrong Feeling… | A Note To Life
- Unspoken Words… | A Journey Called Life …
- Intenselee [Daily Prompt: Intense!] | unknowinglee
- Nostalgia in Endless Waves | A Girl Divided
- Intense Sunlight | Eyes to Heart
- “Intense” | Relax
- For Those About To Rock, We Salute You | sayanything
- Intense is this…missing him | Ipso facto
- A cricket crazy nation! | A chain of thoughts…
- Intense fear: a recent nightmare | alienorajt
- Tavistock, Devon | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- INTENSE | Parents Are People Too
- Intense | Rebecca Barray
- INTENSE (poem) | Poetry by Nowelle
- Intensity | Kate Murray
- Intense reaction | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Daily Prompt: Intense | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- 5| Daily Prompt: Intense! | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- The sunlight of fall | Le Drake Noir
- Daily Prompt Challenge ~ “Intense” | soletusknow
- Intense | Words from the heart
- He Was My First | Farfetched Friends
- What if my intensity was a bit scary? | Okay, what if ?
- Undah Preshah | 6 of One…
- That Time I Fooftered | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Bursts of Love | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt: Intense! | Moonlight Reflections
- Did the captain of the Titanic cry? | rarasaur
- That’s Intense! (WordPress Daily Prompt) | thisblogisepic
- Daily Prompt: Intense! | GG’s World
- Daily Prompt; Intense | terry1954
- Streetlife in Beijing | carellyn
- Not so fine | Muddy River Muse
- What is “Truth”? | Main Line Dads
- of loss | Anawnimiss
- Daily Prompt: intense! | Life and the Things that Compel Its Attention
- Daily Post – Intense! | adorablyobnoxious
- The Birthday Gift – Compass & Quill
- Megan and Grace Or Why I Do Not Hate The Westboro Baptist Church. | Forlorn Hope: A Diary Of A Broken Heart
- #72 – Intense | shatteringlove
- See | Barefoot on Rainy Days
Congrats on being published! What an accomplishment worth celebrating in your life 😉 I’m very glad to read the good news!
I’ll celebrate the day my writing starts to pay the bills! 😉
But thank you.
Congrats on being published. It might not pay the bills yet but it’s still a great feat not many can say and might just be the first step to your future as a filthy rich author.
Filthy rich. I like the sound of that. 😀
But I’d settle for brilliant and sufficiently comfortable.
Looking forward to reading your stories, Rob. I will let you know what I think.
I am having a lot of negative emotions toward a few people in my actual life right now. (I do not spell things out that clearly on my own blog.) I have used those feelings to walk away from or distance myself from relationships in the past, and I can’t say that was bad for me in the end.
I like to think things often work out for the best.
It has been easier to deal with emotions when the issue is recognized. And then I try to be a big girl and carry on. Laying in bed crying doesn’t really help. Sometimes I give myself a time limit for pouting. After 15 minutes, it is time to get things together. Sometimes I laugh about how silly it is to pout at my age. 🙂 If I can help someone that has gone through similar situations, I try to help them also either with words of encouragement or telling them who or what can help.
Congrats on the publishing. Looking forward to read it.
Thank you. 🙂
Congrats on being a published author! How cool!!!
Yes, thank you!
Congratulations on publishing your first book…….. you will be an inspiration for many like us
Well, they’re flashes in an anthology, but I don’t mind being an inspiration. Thank you!
Congratulation on being published.
Thank you. 🙂
Great Great Great! Congrats and very well done! 🙂
As to anger …. not meaning to spoil the celebration …. but you asked …. anger normally covers up pain. Even intense in the moment anger – off your head anger – even over the *stupidest* in the moment things. Usually, if one blows, it signals an often underlying and ongoing *issue* that has been smouldering.
Can anger be constructive instead of destructive? Yup 🙂
In the heat of the moment, maybe not so much, but being able to control the moment, and then reflect and trace back the source of the pain, hurt and frustration may just help the next time something triggers the flash 😉
It’s a process though – and it can be tough – stirring up long lost but not forgotten or forgiven moments – but if you can step through the fires, even just a little, work through it, then it can be a bit easier.
🙂 stepping through fires sounds like a way to get burnt!
Well …. sometimes we do get burnt …. or we burn ourselves out …. anger can do that ….
[…] Why so intense, Surfer Rob? | Rob’s Surf Report […]
[…] Why so intense, Surfer Rob? | Rob’s Surf Report […]