Do you have a guiding principle?
Let’s talk about evil: what’s really evil anyway? I mean, any person or any thing can be looked at and judged by the beholder to be evil, or bad, or in some other way unsatisfactory. When we say evil then, we naturally assume that something falls under the extremity at or near the very end of the bad half on the good-bad spectrum; people can be evil, things can be evil, and there are ineffable evils that befall us and make worse our struggles against the entropic forces of life.
Regarding evil, Webster’s Dictionary says “blah blah blah”, and thus I say good riddance to old Simple Sam; I’ve got this, thank you very much. I’ve never been a Wiccan, and have never taken any part in practical magic as such (although I have attempted to perform an exorcism before;) in fact, I’d like to think that if magic were so easy I’d already be balls-deep in its secrets. But much like judging anything to be “this” or “that”, I believe that magic depends heavily upon the user’s state of mind and their understanding of the subject matter at hand, as well as a deep and practical understanding of nature – both human nature and the workings of the physical world.
Those of the Wiccan faith ascribe to this saying that says you can do whatever if it doesn’t hurt anyone. Whatever. So you can’t kill or assault anyone, you can’t set a trap to cut their legs off, and you’re also prohibited from theft, adultery, slander, abandonment or blatantly ignorant acts… the whole gamut – even casual drug use, to be technical. I think that when it comes down to brass tacks, the Wiccans have the right idea: rather than being strapped down by civil law, they opt to say, “let’s be civil and do no harm.”
That philosophy, when considered, should prompt us to examine the way we live. I, for one, am an evil person at times. I often catch myself being selfish, harsh, judgmental – even violently reactive. Most of the time I stop this from manifesting in the world beyond my own skin, but from time to time it catches me unawares. We’re all like that to some extent, and so when we have such a principle to guide us as “do no harm” or “love your neighbor” – not just words, but a guiding principle that we actively apply to our daily lives – we become better people over time, because we are what we consistently do.
So what I consider evil is that some people do not subscribe to a similar principle, and so they suffer even as they cause others’ suffering. Worst of all is when they feel powerless to stop it, because they’re giving up on themselves and thus are stranded in chaos and misfortune by the last person who should ever do so.
What do you think? Do you have a guiding principle, and if so, where did you learn it? Do you tend to think of “evil” people as villains, or victims of their unexamined behaviors? Let us know in the comments.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Ego | Bright Moments Catcher
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch – It’s Me!!!
- DP : Evil | Experimental Fiction
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Bizzimummy’s World
- Frosty Friday | Purple Rosemary
- Cruella Deville [Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Under the Monkey Tree
- A Lesson In Good And Evil | The Jittery Goat
- Wicked Witch | Braised Pork on Rice
- Daily Prompt: Wicked WItch | WilderThing
- EVIL SPELT BACKWARDS | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Good and evil | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt: Evil In The World Today | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Is There More Good Than Evil? | Creative Mysteries
- EVIL DREAMS | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt; does evil exist, or is it all in our minds? | sixty, single and surviving
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch or some kind of EVIL | Words ‘n Pics
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | lifebeinggirly
- EVILLLLLL | I’m just Super Saiyan
- Evil … and Good | Eyes to Heart
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch. Show us evil. | Complexity of Thought
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Death’s Opinions On Life
- The Nature of Evil | Fruit Salad
- The Wrong Path | Flowers and Breezes
- BLOGGING – THE NEW EXORCISM | hastywords
- Zero Sense | Momma Roars
- Checks And Balances | Fish Of Gold
- We are the wicked witch….. and the cowardly lion….. | lizardsonthelanai
- Witch Tree: Poem | Just Visiting This Planet
- Good Intentions With Evil Consequences | Kansa Muse
- The Reaper’s Eye | vicariously in love with you
- Evil? Or just…painfully misguided? | Sai’s Notebook
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The Truth of Choice….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: The God of Mischief | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch (Haibun – Salem) | Bastet and Sekhmet’s Library
- Being wicked is one thing – but being evil, well that’s a different story. | The Flavored Word
- Which Wolf Will You Feed? | sayanything
- Evil | mentalrollercoaster
- The Devil is in the Internet | tjbarkerseattle
- Cold Blooded Love | A.C. Melody
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Morrighan’s Muse
- A Story of Evil (Wicked Witch) | standinginthestorm
- Evil: A Haiku | djgarcia94
- The Evil of Ignorance | Cheri Speak
- WIcked is Fear | Going New Places!
- What is evil? | It’s a Fine Line
- Daily Prompt: Evil | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Paradise Found | vic briggs
- S. Thomas Summers | Monsters are the Most Interesting People
- You meant it for evil… | JC Bride ~
- Living my dash | Mariposa Social
- My Evil is Sexually Wicked | Pretty Pleasures
- Eviiillll | dcms2
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | FORESTALL
- Here there be monsters | RPMAS
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | Basically Beyond Basic
- Evil: Daily Post | Destino
- The Ramayana, Without Ravana | prettypinkpebbles
- Rear View Mirror | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Evil| An Evil Heart | Words from the heart
- When evil comes a-knockin’. | Simple Heart Girl
- Daily post: Evil? Hmm… | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- “By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.” | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- Daily Prompt: Wicked Witch | theanonymousqueen