Is there something that you feel you can’t live without?
That’s essentially the question the Daily Post is putting out there when they ask, “what are the five items you must have on a deserted island?” Let me tell you something:
I don’t need a darn thing.
Now, if I could take someone with me, that would be a different question. I’d certainly take my wife and daughter because I want them to always be a part of my adventure, my life – but what if I had to do it alone?
It would be handy to have a decent survival knife and a whetstone, as well as a waterproof survival guide. That’s three things, but I could most certainly make do without even those practical items. The knife is really cool, though.
Some people will talk about different things, like a book or a device or some piece of modern flotsam that they find worth mention. Somebody might even talk about how they have to have their dog with them. My response: are you serious? You’re going to a desert island. Fido is going to be dinosaur food. Why not just cut out the middleman and get a pet dinosaur when you get there?
Some people just don’t think it through.
But that gets me to my point, you see: underneath all the layers that society has encumbered us with like stratified sediment over the millennia – the technology, the pop culture, the clothes and accessories, the social norms, the rituals and taboos – underneath all of this lies a single, primal imperative: the need for survival. The whole point of society is to mask that need by providing us with a network of assistance, and such a wealth of tools and equipment that we forget that it’s really a big game of Survivor. When the paradigm of the game changes, then, so must the player’s strategy.
I don’t need any tool or manual to fight my way through the world. Those things are nice to have, but when we rely on them too heavily we become convinced of their so-called essential nature. Instead, from one moment to the next we have just one important status update, and that is either one or zero. On or off. Alive or dead. Who’s taking that measurement? Well, if it’s you then it’s still a good day, isn’t it?
So the number one priority is to survive. As it turns out, the human being is a marvelous example of a fully-featured adaptive mechanism. If I were stranded on a desert island, I would gladly take my mind off of all the things I missed about modern life and focus on survival. If you came back for me a year later, what would you find? My sun-bleached skeleton, or Tarzan? Personally, I’d work on the latter.
Some people aren’t fit for island life, and nature tends to weed them out; why she chose to take Amelia Earhart while sparing Gilligan and the Skipper is beyond my ability to analyze. Her ways are mysterious, my friends. I’d have to start out by making some tools, like a knife, and then constructing some kind of shelter if I could. I’d have to make some kind of a signal in case they were out looking for me, but I’d have to do that as I go, since I’d have to focus on what I was gonna eat. Is there wildlife or do I have to sharpen some sticks and carve a crochet hook to make a net with? I’d have to learn to fish the old-school way!
As essential preparations dwindle to a maintenance level and life begins to find its rhythm, I’d schedule my day accordingly. I’d start out after waking by taking a morning run around the island for as long as I can. If I can run for a couple hours nonstop and there’s larger prey, I could potentially hunt without weapons, which would be a decent choice to be able to make.
Then I’d spend a few hours (estimated, of course) climbing trees for practice. This would build limb strength (in my limbs and the trees’) and enable me to reach more food sources and provide a way to escape ground-based predators, if necessary, as well as my pet dinosaur if it goes into heat or something.
I wouldn’t be the first islander to make it work, you know. The Tahitians and the Hawaiians invented surfing, after all, and they thrived until the modern world came in and took everything from them.
What do you think? Would you be able to adapt to island life with nothing more than island resources? Let us know in the comments!
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | soulfoodwords
- Charge your phone | Photos to inspire you
- Alone in a Deserted Island. | paperdollsletter
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Basically Beyond Basic
- Five Items | Geek Ergo Sum
- 5 Items | Jab and Cross followed by Cross and Stitch
- Five Items | Insanitree
- Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Undeniable | Active Army Wife
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Joanne Lynn
- What Five Things Would You Not Want? (This Prompt Is Stupid) | The Jittery Goat
- The simple bare necessities of life | RPMAS
- Necessities | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Five Items « cognitive reflection
- 5 Elements of Baking | A Crazy Chef
- Daily Prompt: My Five Must Have’s | Musings&Rants
- Desert Island Day Dreaming | Eyes to Heart
- CAstaway – True Story | crookedeyebrows
- My Desert Island Necessities | Evelinasec’s Blog
- Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Musical Foodie Love
- Media to Survive? | Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Five Items – Really?
- Daily Prompt: Queen of the Island | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt : Five Items.. A HELP SIGN ? | LoudThoughtsVoicedOut
- Daily prompt: Five things | ferwam
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Finding Life
- Deserted Island? Yes please! | Not a Punk Rocker
- The Lurker’s List | Necessities On A Deserted Island
- NEEDS VERSUS WANTS? | Emotional Fitness
- DP Challenge: Five Must Have Items (Smoke Monster Ball Puncher is a Must!) « Morning Pages
- Five Items | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Memory Bank of the Nocturnal
- The Bear Necessities… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Five Items » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Wordz on a Page
- Castaway |
- Passport to Life | Upstairs Productions
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Awl and Scribe
- Five Items | Finale to an Entrance
- Natural Selection | bronte’s world
- DAILY PROMPT: PACKING FOR THE ISLAND – A PERFECT WORLD | SERENDIPITY
- The Courage to Start | The Land Slide Photography
- Take A Trip With Me! Please? | Mountains or Molehills
- Bring me home | Life is great
- Take five. | Hope* the happy hugger
- Lost at Sea | The Joyful Soul
- Bare Necessities | A Room of One’s Own
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Deserted Island! Five Items…?! | It’s my blog, innit…
- Sand, Serenity and Sadness (The Daily Prompt – Five Items) | Simply Silent
- Necessities | Rebecca Barray
- How To Avoid The Media In Five Easy Steps | Just Visiting This Planet
- Daily Prompt: 5 Items | eBook Sharing
- Oh the Priorities | The Pigeon Blog
- Five Items | The Nameless One
- My Five Items | emilykarn
- The Isle of Bliss | A.C. Melody
- Five Items | The Cutter Rambles
- My Desert Island Necessities | Poeme Sur Le Web Blog
- Five Items: Necessities – Free Shipping + $5 Discount Link – Khana’s Web @ Society6 | Khana’s Web
- Five items to bring to a deserted island | Words ‘n Pics
- Five Items: Necessities | My Conscious Self
- These Are Five of My Favorite Things
- Necessaties – Oh Now i Realised | Dreams to Reality !
- Staying in a less than 3 star hotel is as close to roughing it as I get. | thoughtsofrkh
- Be Prepared | djgarcia94
- Deserted Island Wish List | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | kimmiecode
- Five Items | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Faerie Thoughts
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | standinginthestorm
- Need | Words on a Page
- Five Items | When the Words Won’t Come
- Five Items | Veronica Coons
- Five Things to Have in the Desert | maunderingsofaninja
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | On My Front Porch
- An Uncrowded Island | Charron’s Chatter
- Daily Prompt : On A Deserted Island | Scattered Thoughts
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | SIM | ANTICS
- Stranded on a Deserted Island? | Cheri Speak
- Five Items | Eldy’s
- 5 Things on a Deserted Island | To Pursue Happiness
- Necessities | Manresa, Maine
- 5 Items I must take with me on an island | Kawanee’s Korner
- Gradus ad Parnassum | vic briggs
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | adorablyobnoxious
- Invitation For Authors | mikemattice
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | L5GN
- Thursday Top 5: Desert Island Items | Sam’s Online Journal
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | draccoonian
- One Item | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Daily Prompt: All My Necessary Things | Morrighan’s Muse
- Joy: A Daily Dose | Wiley’s Wisdom
- 5 deserted island essentials | Yes For Yes
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | GG’s World
- 5 Things to Survival | A Simple Point in Time
- Daily Prompt: Five Items, Or: I’d Just Eat Gilligan | polymathically
- Daily Prompt: Five Items (Joint Post) | A Midnight Blog
- Antara butuh dan ingin | The Frozen Tears
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Five Items | Just for Fun Drawings
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | The Polar Panda