In case you weren’t aware of it, Apple came out with the “Magic Mouse” a couple years ago. The Magic Mouse is a combination of a touchpad and mouse such that instead of having buttons and a scroll wheel, the mouse can intuit which finger is pressing down on the clicker (yes, there’s still one microswitch in that infernal contraption) based on it’s position on the mouse. The user is able to go back and forward without moving the mouse by using two fingers to swipe left and right on the mouse, and scroll by swiping one finger up or down, according to the direction in which they would like the page to scroll.
So, here’s a list of the reasons why I hate the Magic Mouse and would like to have a time machine specifically so I can go back and beg Apple not to do it:
1. It scrolls way too fast. I know it’s variable through the system configuration, but with so many complaints, the scrolling speed is just more fuel for the fire.
2. the two-finger gestures don’t work very well. Or at least, they don’t work when you want them to, and they work when you don’t want them to.
3. Speaking of scrolling, it scrolls when you don’t want it to. Consider working in a spreadsheet, where the cells are practically unlimited in either direction. I work in spreadsheets a lot, and I can say from experience that the wrong move will send the sheet thousands of cells away from your data. No permanent damage, but let it happen three or four times in a row and you tell me if the Magic Mouse is a good idea.
4. Forget about precision control of the cursor. When you’re playing Guild Wars, forget about being able to use the mouse for movement unless you have a backup mouse, like I do. Your character will look in every direction except the one you want them to look in. Trust me.
5. The batteries run down every three weeks or so. I can get twice the battery life out of my wireless Arc Mouse.
6. Do you wan to know what happens when you’re working on a long forum post for your Psychology of Exceptional Learners class and you touch the mouse? Just TOUCH it? The whole post is gone. Bam. Like it never existed.
Screw the Magic Mouse. Worst idea ever, Apple.
Worst. Idea. Ever.