Let’s be honest: I have no idea when this thing about political correctness started. It was nonexistent when I was a kid in the 80’s, and by the time I was in high school in the 90’s it was making itself known. This is PC, that’s not PC. It began to guide the way America talked, the way they thought, the way they bristled at an infraction of the politic’s sensibilities.
To this day I’m still not sure what constitutes PC. I know I’m not supposed to say the n-word to describe a non-white person; the r-word for a person with intellectual disabilities; and several word for homosexuals. That’s fine, I prefer not to hurt feelings anyway. I don’t know if the use of PC language really gets in the way of getting things done. But is it possible that the whole PC movement is more of an umbrella for several non discrimination campaigns, some of which may have enjoyed more success up to this point than others? Then maybe we could just prune it a bit; we’ve been fairly successful in conforming a lot of language toward gender neutrality – they’re not mailmen, they’re mail carriers. They’re not firemen, but firefighters; and policemen are really police officers, and lawyers and doctors are still big-time pickpockets – no change there.
Let me change direction here. Who does find the concept of political correctness useful?
I wonder if the issues will ever go away, and so why should we care to constrain official language? It seems that in so doing, all we really achieve is to give politicians a cheat sheet on saying things more nicely. I say take away their crib notes and see if they start to come off like the sharks and psychopaths that most of them undoubtedly are. Then maybe we can get back to electing people who will work together across party lines to make this country sing as one again, instead of constantly falling apart like a house of cards over this little thing or that major infraction of privacy by Federal agencies.
PC? Do we really think this is about avoiding harming anyone’s feelings, or is it more likely that politicians threw themselves a safe script right under our noses? Is that how these guys are getting into office? Why can’t we all just get along?
This post was prompted by yesterday’s Daily Post prompt
- I May Not Be Politically Correct (PC), But I Am Pretty Clear (PC) (typemeariver.wordpress.com)
- The Facade of Politically Correct (josephrathjen.wordpress.com)
- Political Correctness: A small addition (alienorajt.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: The Usefulness of Political Correctness (thelintinmypocket.wordpress.com)
- Wonderful term, this “Political Correctness” (calebdomain.wordpress.com)
- Political Correctness: No thanks! (alienorajt.wordpress.com)
- Political Correctness: Mean Girls in Charge? (joantwarren.com)
- Daily Prompt: P.C. (diaryofdennis.com)
- Without adjective (vivirquenoespoco.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: P.C. | The Daily Post (thebloggingpath.com)