I like to think that I have a fairly broad sense of humor, although I will admit readily that I don’t really appreciate lower humor as much as others. One time, back when I worked at Eckroth Music, I was discussing podcasts with a Speed-Dee driver; he suggested that I listen to the Kevin Smith podcast. I listened to two episodes, and was thoroughly unimpressed with the brand of humor presented, not to mention the amount of profanity involved. Not my cuppa joe.
Still, “funny” is a matter of opinion. There are things that some people don’t think are funny that other people do. I can live with that. The things that I seriously consider to be unfunny usually involve some kind of hardship on my part. The joke might not be at my expense, but if I’ve had a hard time with something, I certainly do not find it funny. Like when people make jokes about how long our work days are at my job, I don’t think that’s funny. Sometimes I think it’s similar to how holocaust survivors might have felt about the holocaust.
So can anything be funny? I don’t think so; and if I don’t find something funny, there is a good chance that I won’t laugh at it. Does that put that subject off limits? I don’t think so. Some people might find it funny, but if I don’t, I’ll just stay away; I might not even say anything against it as long as no one is getting hurt. I’ll just let others have their fun.
I know what you’re thinking; I assure you, this has not been my day.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post Prompt.
- Do You Like Your Humor Shaken or Stirred? (mollygreye.wordpress.com)
- Too soon for laughter? (alienorajt.wordpress.com)
- No offense (vivirquenoespoco.wordpress.com)
- Is A Presidential Clown Mask Funny? (jitterygt.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Too Soon? | The Daily Post (thebloggingpath.com)
- DP Daily Prompt:Too Soon? Post by Ranu (sabethville.wordpress.com)
- More Fun than a Barrel of… (bit2yug.wordpress.com)