It’s just a disgusting proposition; I told myself I would stop asking “really?”
But the proposition has me now questioning the faith I have always espoused, the belief that the human drive for autonomy would outlive the need for big government.
Yet here we stand, on the brink of a digital new world order. Apparently governments around the planet have betrayed their people by voting across-the-board to institute an “Internet government”. Really?
Let’s consider the implications, shall we? By saying that the Internet should be governed, the world’s governments are granting it legitimate nationhood; this is an even bigger reach than corporate personhood – I mean, is the Internet a de facto nation now?
I suppose the argument could be made. After all, people on the net often think of themselves as citizens of the Internet – ergo the term “netizens”. We thrive in communities where we interact with each other, for good or ill, and a vast majority of these interactions are with people who live outside of our geographic circle. So as the web exerts its power to shrink the world, wouldn’t it make more sense to literally bring the world closer to unity and leave the Internet as it is?
The most offensive part, though, is that they have asked me – me – to run for P.M. of the Internet. Really?! The conversation went something like this:
“What–wha. . . you want me. To run for President of the Internet.”
“But I’m not even British.” It was a deflection, and not a good one; but I had to try.
“It’s just a title, sir.”
“But why me?”
“Your name came highly recommended, and it was drawn by lotto.”
“Seriously? Who the heck would recommend me for that?”
“Well actually it was your mother, sir.”
“My wha. . . You guys actually listen to my mother? HOW CRACKED ARE YOU?”
Needless to say, I’m not interested. Let me tell you why: I wholeheartedly believe that modern man is more than capable of governing himself. The only reason we in America haven’t led the charge toward political anarchy is because a lot of people don’t want to think for themselves – they don’t want to weigh the issues, sorting out good from bad; they want to be told. They let the government and the church tell them, so that they can get back to watching TV and stuffing their faces with fast food.
Separation of church and state? That’s a myth, and that’s our fault.
I don’t want that for the Internet, and if given no other choice I don’t want to be a part of it. So if we are going to call the Internet a nation, then you can call me the equivalent of a survivalist, off-the-map gun nut. I’m a blogger, a freethinker, I’m armed with words, and I am very formidable.
Internet anarchy forever!
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Balalaika | Village & Countryside Tourism
- Russian accordionist | Village & Countryside Tourism
- The Leader | The Magic Black Book
- PM of Internet? Are you out of your mind? « RPMAS
- New Internet Order « Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order « Mama Bear Musings
- Headlong into you | We Live In A Flat
- Don’t follow Me, I’m Lost | Just Visiting This Planet
- Big Government | Conversations
- 189. Cybernation | Barely Right of Center
- No, no, not I! | alienorajt
- What Part Of “No” Don’t You Understand? | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order | Of Glass & Paper
- Silhouettes | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Thou shall not fake thy year of birth | JC Bride ~
- Daily Prompt: New internet Order | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- ONE MONTH OF BLOGGING! | I’m just Super Saiyan
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Neva Samaki
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order | lifebeinggirly
- Duncan the Sushi Roll #16 | Neva Samaki
- One Of Them | Flowers and Breezes
- One Starving Activist
- A Plea for Disconnection | Displaced Roots
- No more spying | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order, Find Another Fool! | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Virtual Leader | Random Blotches
- Internet Leader? | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: New World Wide Order | My Atheist Blog
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order | Vagabond
- Racing to the LEAD | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order – WHEN I AM QUEEN | SERENDIPITY
- LAUGHING INTERNET | Emotional Fitness
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Leader
- I Disrespectfully Decline…..(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Take Me To Your Leader | CurTales
- Prompt-ly, my dear… | Relax
- ♦ the ruler rap ♦ | The RunningFather Blog
- A brief net response, but moving onto specs… | thoughtsofrkh
- WIthout loosing privacy | crookedeyebrows
- In Control of the Internet?! Large AND In Charge?! | Sogna Grandezza
- Daily Prompt: New Internet Order | Steve Says….
- | lemon lime follies
- New Internet Order: Into The Unknown | Khana’s Web
- Chekov Me Out: Leader Me! | vicbriggs’s Blog
- Leader, alright | The Otter in my Jotter
- What if I could control the ‘Net? | Okay, what if ?
- New Internet Order | Icezine
- Daily Prompt; New Internet Order | terry1954