Have you ever thought that you take the concept of appearance way too seriously?
I sure have, and for good reason. Paying attention to things like hygiene, grooming, and dress have been identified as huge vacuums of time and money in my life. Since time is money, and since both time and money must be conserved wherever possible, I have made it one of my continuing goals to streamline my life in the interest of such conservation; but there is a caveat.
I cannot – must not! – sacrifice the trifecta of hygiene, grooming, and dress. Rather, I must hack the processes – make them faster, better, and more effective all at once.
This is not an easy task.
You could say I’m working within a framework which was built from the ground up; in other words, I’ve learned most of this stuff on my own. Thank Bob for the Internet and YouTube, without which I would not have learned some very important things, such as how to wax my moustache when I’ve grown it out. How did I manage before?
So needless to say, appearance is very important to me; as the old Vidal Sassoon commercials used to say, “if you don’t look good, you don’t feel good.” You see, when I was growing up what I had in terms of appearance was my looks. I wasn’t physically fit by any stretch of the imagination, and so I had to endure a lot of ridicule. As it turns out, being fat is hard on a kid; being sensitive is even worse. But I always prided myself on my looks, even if they weren’t widely appreciable.
So where do clothes fit into all this? Well here’s my philosophy on clothing: they don’t have to cost a lot, and they don’t exactly have to be the best. They just have to look good however you throw them together, and they have to fit you in a reasonably decent way. Nothing looks worse than clothes that are cut wrong, that are way too big, or for that matter, way too small. Other than that, I’m not very picky. As long as you don’t come off as completely colorblind, I’m sure you look great.
In other words, clothes do not make the person. The person makes the person – but you don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of time or money making the person. And don’t forget, a little personality goes a long way!
this post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Steve Hanuman | Village & Countryside Tourism
- Louis Viviers | Village & Countryside Tourism
- Rural Tourism in Russia: Man and Horse | Village & Countryside Tourism
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | Awl and Scribe
- Man maketh the clothes. « RPMAS
- Daily Prompt: It’s About Clothes and Not About Russia | Under the Monkey Tree
- The Clothes (May) Make the Man | geekergosum
- Never Stationary
- Suit Up! | Crossroads
- Zero, Budget Version. | thoughtsofrkh
- Too Sexy For My Clothes [Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man] | unknowinglee
- Canada Goose (Style) | photo potpourri
- Daily Prompt: Clothes: I Blame Stacy & Clinton | Kim, Who Lives at Home
- The Clothes (May) make the Woman (Writer) | Kate Murray
- Way down inside | The verbal hedge
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man « Mama Bear Musings
- I Feel For My Mother – Daily Prompt Repost | The Mercenary Researcher
- they’re just clothes | wannabepoet
- My Old Green Sweater | The Jittery Goat
- Polo Shirt And Chinos | Tony’s Texts
- Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man — Purple Sweaters, Orange Dresses | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | Vagabond
- Dress for Sucess | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Second Class Style | An Upturned Soul
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- A shameful confession. | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Naked People don’t influence society | crookedeyebrows
- Shift in styles | The life of T
- Calmness | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- What the hell is she wearing? | Girlie Groove
- The Clothes that Make the Woman | The River Mom
- House of Revolving Style | wordsandotherthings
- On Clothes and Androgyny | the wannabe artist
- Princesses and Docs | Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Silver, With A Golden Heart | ~xoxo, msL
- Clothing and Confidence | A Sign Of Life
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes Make the Man | My Atheist Blog
- Fur Coat… | Haiku By Ku
- Why do I love black? Let me count the ways. | walkin’ on sunshine
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Well I’m not naked… | Day of the Week Fat Pants
- I’d Rather Be Naked… | Take your Chances; Make it Happen
- Unclothed | alienorajt
- I really don’t care | Life is great
- Jeans | East Meets Breast
- It tickles my senses | Hope* the happy hugger
- Hats n’ Scarves…(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Fashion centsibility | Beth Byrnes
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes That Make | cagedbutterfly1
- Bring on the Karken…but do it with style. | Vampire Maman
- Unclothed | vicbriggs’s Blog
- The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | To Write With a Broken Pencil is Pointless
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make Make the (Wo)man | lifebeinggirly
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (may) Make the (Wo)Man | Understated Classics
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes Make The Man | Steve Says….
- Jeans +Shirt +Sneakers=Done! | Not a Punk Rocker
- I’m a T-shirt and jeans kind of girl. Always will be. | Reinvention of Mama
- Car Wars:This Is How I Roll | Just Visiting This Planet
- I don’t always make bold fashion statements…… | djgarcia94
- Chameleon | A mom’s blog
- Do I Love Clothes? | Flowers and Breezes
- The Man Makes the Man | Real Life Co.
- shopping for a man | Musings of a Random Mind
- COVERING UP | Emotional Fitness
- The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | The Nameless One
- Paying it forward | I’m just Super Saiyan
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | The Blogging Path
- My sweater is more than just my style | Fingerprints on the Fridge
- “Our Minds Want Clothes As Much As Our Bodies” – Samuel Butler – Daily Prompt | thecatsdaydream
- Dressing Like a Canadian | SueAnn Porter
- The Clothes Make the Man..err.. Woman | The Otter in my Jotter
- Lady Godiva | CurTales
- Daily Prompt: Style | Far from Done
- Janwilk’s Weblog
- Venus of the rags – a daily prompt on clothing | Indexyourlife
- Woven | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | Sunglasses Always Fit
- One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | The corner of my imagination
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | You Know My Answer To That | Sylvia’s Life and Style
- Daily Prompt: The Clothes (May) Make the (Wo)man | To Breathe is to Write
- Style For the Daily Prompt! | sewcoordinated