Have you ever tried to not hear the truth?
Of course, truth is subjective – one person’s truth may not translate to truth in another person’s reality due to a failure to achieve parity with said reality, but in the commonly–accepted continuum there exists a finite set of truths, some of which happen to be very personal to you – and some people may have had the nerve – the audacity, even! – to point them out to you.
You hated hearing it, but you could not escape its truth; why can’t our foibles resist the chance to make their intrusive incursions at a time when we are least prepared to hear them?
I’ve had plenty of these instances in my time. I used to take them hard, because they come off as criticizing – but there came a time when I started to strive for self-improvement, and seeing this, my friend Kevin took the opportunity to point them out as they came along: I always had to be right; I always had to have the last word; I often complained for recreational purposes (referred to as “bi***ing to hear myself bi***”); I was terrible at dealing with changes in routine. He brought me so far out of my comfort zone that I was able to see just how small and restrictive it really was.
How did I get to be such a neurotic mess?
Today is not the day for playing the blame game, Rob.
I remember one time; every time I said anything at all, Kevin’s response was the same: “you’re wrong.” “You’re wrong, Rob.” Did I want to punch him in his smug little nose? Of course – for a few minutes. As any smart person faced with a futile situation would do, I finally gave up after several more attempts than I should have made in the first place.
Then, in the stillness of my mind and the silence in the room, I thought that maybe I didn’t have all the answers; maybe there was room to perpetually seek them in a humble spirit. Maybe it was okay to not know.
I mean, it’s like science – if we managed to find the answers to everything, we would master the Universe, but at what cost? What do we seek when there’s nothing left to find?
Somehow Kevin knew what needed to be done, and he was brave and audacious enough to pull it off. Sometimes I miss hanging out with him; I used to say, “philosophize with me, Kev.” We would have these deep discussions and I would never fail to come away changed, a different person; who needs mind-altering substances with friends like these?
At a time when I needed it most, yet least wanted to hear it, he was there tell me how it really was.
Has there been someone like that in your life?
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Harsh | The Magic Black Book
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Sad But True – Emotions
- Winter Is Near (Harsh) | photo potpourri
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Under the Monkey Tree
- Accurate | Lost in Adeline’s
- Criticism never kills | Clandestine Destiny
- That Was Way Harsh [Daily Prompt: Sad But True] | unknowinglee
- ‘You are DELUDED!’ | alienorajt
- Telling myself off. | thoughtsofrkh
- Always impatient | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True – Criticism | Anniemation Floe
- (22) Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True « Mama Bear Musings
- My Fiancé thinks I am a Junkie! | Shiwanidoez
- Writing Advice; “Good Writing Is Persisting” (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- the truth hurts like a 4 year old’s stomp on your foot | wannabepoet
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Awl and Scribe
- Lolz Criticism | મન ની વાત
- DAILY PROMPT: SAD BUT TRUE? | SERENDIPITY
- You’re Useless | submissivelysecret
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True (A Conversation Between Friends) | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- She Sees the World Through Rose Coloured Glasses … | Girlie Groove
- Maybe it’s you. Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Reinvention of Mama
- Puppy Mill Life… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Harshest | Hope* the happy hugger
- The Lurker’s List | Misery
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: Sad but True | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Sad but True | Kate Murray
- Don’t take it personally … | 365 And Counting
- I do not like doing things wrong! | Eccentric Lady
- Admit It. | ayimas
- No willpower | Life is great
- Oooo…ouch…. | Maybe Not So Zen…
- Sad but True? | Going New Places!
- Sad But True | The Nameless One
- You’re like a cat – you only call when you want something | Feel & Rebuild Your Self Confidence
- Bad juju gaga | Lady Goo Goo Gaga
- DP: Sad but True | The Deepwater Goldfish
- MISS MISS SPELLER | Emotional Fitness
- Life is Harsh | Kansa Muse
- A Torment To Bear | Flowers and Breezes
- Criticism Writing Prompt | Chez Lavande
- MY NARCISSISM | hastywords
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Time Collage
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Moments Thru Lens
- Harsh | Rebecca Barray
- Me, Myself, and I. | Many More Ripples
- Sad But True: Daily Prompt | lifebeinggirly
- Steve Says….
- Daily Prompt: Sad but true | Valley Girl Gone Country
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Processing the life
- Daily Prompt: Sad but True | Winging it
- Harsh? | Taking One Day At A Time
- Harsh |
- From the mouths of babes | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Redo | CurTales
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Books and Movies