What would you do to get people to visit your blog?
Would you advertise on late-night television as though you were Billy Mays or Jack Lalanne? Could your blog be the next Sham-wow?
Personally, I think it would be a colossal waste of time and money to record an infomercial extolling the many benefits one may glean from reading your blog, and then sandwiching it between decades-old reruns of The Fall Guy, Highway to Heaven, Little House on the Prairie, or what ever passes for late-night television these days. Why is it a waste? Because. . .
A: nobody will see it.
Late-night TV is dead – it just doesn’t know it yet. Broadcasters may as well schedule that time for educational programming for insomniacs who can’t afford Netflix.
B: nobody who does see it will care.
If you’re up that late watching TV, I doubt that you care to be on the Internet anyway. Otherwise, that’s where you would be, am I right? That goes back to reason A.
C: if you really want to try, you’ll be forced to prey upon the insecurities of your audience.
Traditional television advertising is based upon the assumption that your product addresses a need. The late-night demographic falls under the assumption that those needs are to be popular, to be good-looking, lose weight, make more money, or maintain an erection. In other words, they pretend that they want to address the issue that keeps you up at night by selling you a magic bullet cure, and in the process they have to convince you that you’re a fat, ugly, impotent, poor slob. Is that what you would do to your audience?
It’s probably better not to be that person.
Personally, I would prefer to be an honest blogger than waste time and money trying to convince the 2% of Americans who still watch late-night television that I’m the unknown blogger who made WordPress such a star.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Winter Inventory | Nature Activities
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV (Late) | Under the Monkey Tree
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV – I Blog What I Feel!!!
- Alienora, the Blogging Brassiere… | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV – Bedtime stories | littlegirlstory
- The Cloak and Dagger show | smoke&mirrors
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt : The TV infomercial | Processing the life
- The Blog Infomercial | I’m just Super Saiyan
- The Jittery Goat; Nothing Remarkable Happens Here, Just An Easy Place To Visit | The Jittery Goat
- Shock and Awe | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- “Blog” fomercial for VA’s | A Virtual World
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt:As seen on TV | Motherhood and Beyond
- New Different and Mine: I quit. | RPMAS
- Has the bar been lowered? in my opinion, yes. | Lord Aoshi’s Latest Finds
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV – LATE! | SERENDIPITY
- GETTING A KICK OUT OF ABSTRACT ART? YOU MUST BE JOKING! | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Flowersandbreezes | Flowers and Breezes
- WELCOME TO AYIMAS! | ayimas
- Cuteness… | Haiku By Ku
- Hodgepodge Life in the Blog | Kansa Muse
- LAUGH AND PLAY TIME WITH EFIT | Emotional Fitness
- As Seen on TV: Hopefully Soon!!! | Khana’s Web
- Presenting; MY BLOG!…..(as seen on TV WP daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV | My Atheist Blog
- Daily Prompt; As Seen on TV | terry1954
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV | Life is great
- Wonder Wednesday: What Calls Us To Our fears? | Light Words
- I AM…YOU | Life Confusions
- On second thought… | Rob’s Surf Report
- Late | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV | Charron’s Chatter
- Daily Prompt: As Seen on TV | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily post: As heard… | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Social Chaos Blog Debut Goes Viral! | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Steve Says….
- Viver para contar – my blog’s name | viver para contar
- And Now For Some Shameless Self-Promotion! | Bright Tuesday
- Golden Years | CurTales
- Daily Prompt: But Wait! There’s More! | One Starving Activist
- The Mom@Home Show | ~ronaleer~
- But wait there’s more…a free set of steak knives! | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Infomercial-Mania | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- As Seen on TV: Money Back Offer | Half Baked Log
- As Seen on TV: Daily Prompt | lifebeinggirly
- What if I offered my blog for your entertainment? | Okay, what if