Are you already thinking about next year’s goals?
They say that starting a new year is a chance to clear the slate, to start fresh – or at least, they say something like that.
Personally, I’m not one for making New Years resolutions, but I do like the idea of using reflection and goal-setting. Goals are flexible and tentative guideposts, whereas the monolithic resolution had this connotation of finality, being set in stone. The risk of failure into great for a “resolution”, in my opinion, and so goals are a much easier fit with my unique combination of laid-back demeanor and win-at-all-costs motivational drive.
So here’s the thing: I said I was doing NaNoWriMo, the goal of which is a 50,000-word rough draft. To date, I am only a little over 10,000 words in . . . And there’s a good reason for that. In fact, there are several reasons, most of which are tied to the fact that my family is moving to a new home at some point in the near future. If you ever thought that buying a new home was a complicated process, try buying one while selling the one you’re living in simultaneously; the amount of work involved is intense, and I have to give Mme. Ross a lot of credit because I dumped most if that work in her lap, since I still have to bring home the proceeds of a 50-hour-a-week job.
Every time I look forward to writing something comes up, and we have to look at something, clean something, fix something, paint something, or sign something; and I resigned myself a week ago to the looming fact that November NaNo is not possible for me to complete this year. Despite these reasons, I refuse to make excuses. I intend to keep going with the super-flexible goal of 1,667 words a day until my story is fully drafted.
So this is where goal-setting for 2014 comes in: my goal is to finish the draft, edit it to perfection, and find an agent who will represent me. Then I can begin another story by the end of the year and possibly complete NaNoWriMo 2014. Can I do it? I think I can. Sometimes you just have to paddle out and see what happens. I’ll celebrate my wins and learn from the shortfalls.
Learning, after all, is the goal of life.
What do you think? Do you have goals for next year already in mind? Tell us all about them in the comments!
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- NaNoWriMo Tip #18: Drink Some Coffee (mediabistro.com)
- Contemplation | The Magic Black Book
- Кот в окне | Markovich Arts
- The Conundrum | Each Feather, A Freedom
- DAILY PROMPT: TO BOLDLY GO INTO THE LIGHT | SERENDIPITY
- How to improve perfection 😉 | મન ની વાત
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | draccoonian
- Alphabet of Courage | alienorajt
- To Boldly Go…: Hitting the mark! | Khana’s Web
- Contemplation | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | Active Army Wife
- I resolve, if I must, though I probably won’t stick to it, again. | thoughtsofrkh
- It Can Wait… | sayanything
- Contemplation | Insanitree
- ermahgerhd | Bluebooks
- Goals for the New Year? | The life of one woman…
- Contemplation – Goals for 2014 | 3 Nish on a Journey
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go | Shelley Wilson
- FOR A DREAM TO COME TRUE | seifsalamakarem
- Ziggy And Buster Set A Goal (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- To Boldly Go… | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | Taking time, making time
- I will just walk | Historiefortelling
- The Burden of Truth | vic briggs
- 226. Going For It | Barely Right of Center
- Contemplation – Frogs and Turtles! | Zeebra Designs & Destinations
- S. Thomas Summers | Contemplation
- Purple splotch | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | Awl and Scribe
- The year ahead of me | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- To Boldly Go… | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: Goals for 2014 | Finding Life
- Listening within | Words ‘n Pics
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- 2014 To-Do List | Not a Punk Rocker
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go and Take the Stand | Bowl of Rice
- 14 Random Goals for 2014
- And All Old Aquaintance Be Forgot | Catching A Scent of Salt…
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | Under the Monkey Tree
- 2014, Here I Come! | On Thick Ice – The Spurious Imaginings of Reality
- Day by day | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go…. | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- To Help More… | Haiku By Ku
- Un-goal My Soul | Momma Roars
- A handful of goals for a new year | tornin2’s Blog
- A new year, a new perspective | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Men With Machetes, Bones With Souls, Mountains With Secrets | The Life NomadikThe Life Nomadik
- To Boldy Go… | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Contemplation | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- DAILY POST: CONTEMPLATION « MY WALL
- Thank you 2013 – Hello 2014 | Everyday Adventures
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | Morrighan’s Muse
- Wordless Wednesday: Kind of… | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- I’ve got my goals « A Crazy Chef
- Fitness is My Mistress – Lipstick and Lithium – Bipolar Blog
- Blogging Intentions for the Year Ahead | Janie DOH!
- The Contemplation of Perfection…….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Is there a better place | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | Basically Beyond Basic
- No, Thank You! | A.C. Melody
- Three Things For Contemplation | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go | SIM | ANTICS
- Contemplation: Sunset | Different Isn’t Wrong, It’s Just Different
- Daily Prompt: Contemplation | Indira’s Blog
- Gooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaalllllllll(s)! | Mountains or Molehills
- Self Improvement? Bah Humbug! | Emotional Fitness
- Wonder Wednesday: Who Is Welcomed At Your Table? | Light Words
- Boldly Enhance My Career | Randomness Expressed
- Dream! | A Journey Called Life …
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | On My Front Porch
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | ღ Blank Doodles ღ
- Autumn morning mood | Le Drake Noir
- To Boldly Go…Contemplation | My Conscious Self
- Once Upon a Dream | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- NaBloPoMo: Future Is Coming | The Joyful Soul
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | Poetry
- Daily Prompt: Contemplate | Steve Says….
- Contemplating Insanity | Words from the heart
- Daily Prompt: What the future holds… | An almanac for concerned citizens and boysenberry jam fans
- Daily Prompt: To Boldly Go… | James’s Journal