Have you ever noticed that what is supposed to be the “most wonderful time of the year” seems to generate a lot of frustration and hard feelings that sometimes betray the worst in us as a species community?
Christmas seems to be the worst time for this, doesn’t it? Other holidays can be similar in some ways, at some times, but between sending cards, buying gifts, decorating, baking, planning and attending get-togethers, spending money you may not have, traveling – all that noise while trying to hold down the same work and home life that you’ve been used to (e.g. spoiled by) throughout the rest of the year – that’s the kind of thing that makes running a gauntlet full of life-threatening obstacles and deadly blades seem like a welcome reprieve.
That’s probably because all the negative emotions generated by this “garland gauntlet” have the effect of wearing a person’s patience down until the potential to snap becomes a very real danger. Add to that the fact that some people want to snap, because they have no other way to blow off steam, and you have a real recipe for holiday shenanigans, “nightly news”-style.
I remember the year my sister and I opened all of our presents before my parents got up in the morning; in fact, we woke them up to thank them and we got in huge trouble. I can’t speak for my sister, who is five years older, but I was too young to know any better and have a long history of doing things without really thinking them through first. But hey, it was a different time and a different paradigm.
I also remember the year my sister and my mom got into a brawl that took down the Christmas tree in our house. Not a good year for that tree.
Over time, the four of us became the three, then the two, and then there was the first year that Thanksgiving was skipped entirely in favor of a football game; I had been given up on completely.
I have good memories of past holidays too, but all it takes is a few really bad ones. The past few years have been great, and I know this year will be really good because of where I will be and who I will be with. Don’t get me wrong – I like the holidays just fine for what they are, but my very favorite holiday is a paid day off for no other reason then I felt like taking it. There’s no obligations, no stress, no lines or traffic to fight – just a pot of coffee to work my way through, a bag of bread, and a jar of natural peanut butter.
And a video game, for once.
What do you think? Aren’t the holidays somewhat overrated? I’ve actually invented a new holiday that started last year, and it has nothing to do with gifting – it’s just a good time with friends and family, a large meal, sweet wine and dark beer – isn’t that really what the holidays are about?
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Make Your Own Bah Humbug Tree (lifeinjustamoment.wordpress.com)
- Paris in the Springtime | Lost in Translation
- I Remember When… | 61 Musings
- That red and white checked cookbook | Butterfly Mind
- A Thanksgiving Mom Won’t Forget | The Jittery Goat
- Memories of Holidays Past | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past |
- Fairytale Moments in Copenhagen | Life is a Vacation
- Ghost of Christmas Past! | ♥Barb’s Magical Land Of Oz♥
- My Most Beloved Holiday Isn’t Even my Own: Christmas Eve With my Italian In-Laws | gorgeous little thieves
- Christmas to me is only Christmas when it’s hot… | thoughtsofrkh
- Today’s Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past |
- Memories of Holidays Past | Angel Frouk
- 234. Holidays Past | Barely Right of Center
- Daily Post: Memories of Holidays Past « Mama Bear Musings
- Once an Eid day | A mom’s blog
- Christmas is Gingerbread Cookies | Live Life in Crescendo
- My Favorite Holiday of the (New) Year
- Taj Mahal | crookedeyebrows
- beloved circa 2004 | peacefulblessedstar
- Christmas on Lamu: views of a Swahili Community | Tish Farrell
- S. Thomas Summers | The Wisdom of Trolls (Part II)
- Christmas Past | 6 of One…
- The Real Tree | The Library Lady and Rosie Bear
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | reyoflight
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays past | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Once Upon a Thanksgiving . . . | meanderedwanderings
- When the Whales Come Calling | Retrofocus
- Memories of Holidays Past | The Nameless One
- Holiday past. | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Christmas Eve | Life is great
- Calming & Centering | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Heylooo TESLA!! | gypsy thoughts ..
- Killing Santa | Emotional Fitness
- Trip to Azad Kashmir | Dreams to Reality !
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Elämän katupeili
- The Northern Areas | Flowers and Breezes
- To All a Good Night For A Bit Of Christmas Cheer | Kansa Muse
- Of summers and friends long ago lost | Many musings blog’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Finding Life
- growing up without santa | Musings of a Random Mind
- Do You Know the Muffin Man? | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- DAILY PROMPT: HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA! | SERENDIPITY
- The Daily Prompt: memories of holidays past « MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- Memories of Holidays Past | Winding Road
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Basically Beyond Basic
- Chocolate, Milk, and a Baby? | The Wind…It is blowing…
- Keep the Magic Close to Your Heart…..(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: Christmas Folly | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Beloved | sukies original
- Every Year’s Eve | Stories from aside
- Twelve Days ‘Til Christmas: On The Fourth Day | Taking One Day At A Time
- Memories of Holidays Past: My own personal horror story | RPMAS
- M E M O R I E S | the bippity boppity beautiful blog
- Mom Got Ran Over By a…Chairlift | Life By Mal
- Memory of a Holiday Past (Daily Prompt on WordPress) | 365 Days of Thank You
- Daily Prompt: Beloved | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | The First Gates
- Christmas is… | Misifusa’s Blog
- Holiday Memories: Naked Santa and Other Misfits (rated “G”) | by LRose
- Holiday Memories of Naked Santa and Other Misfits (Rated “G”) | by LRose
- The Happiest of Christmases Past and Present and Yet to Come | A Wild One Within
- family catchphrases | The Number FiftyTwo
- Ashes of Roses: My Christmas Story | Ashes of Roses
- Chickens on Vacation | tjbarkerseattle
- The lovely evening has arrived | 2 times pink
- Unnamed | vic briggs
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | adorablyobnoxious
- Memories of Holidays Past | Yana Barus
- Ciao bello Susa | Le Drake Noir
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | LooknWalk
- Cold Christmas Memories | momaste
- Staying in Focus: Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Staying in Focus
- Daily Prompt: Favorite Holiday Memories | Scorched Ice
- Faith & Trust & Pixie Dust | Kosher Adobo
- Christmas Carousel of Song | Musing Off the Mat
- Memories Of Christmas Past | emilykarn
- STOP LYING | Parents Are People Too
- Beloved: Daily Post | Destino