Do you know what my least favorite personal quality in others is?
Yeah, neither do I.
I like to pick on individual qualities in specific people: I hate how this guy avoids work, I hate how that person seems to lie with every breath. This one smells like poo and that one has a wonky eye. Okay, I’m just kidding about the last two, but I try to like people and if I don’t I try to look past what I don’t like about them.
Do you want to know what my most favorite quality in others is? I will tell you:
I really believe that the most precious resource in the world is time. Consequently, there is no greater (and it often seems, no more unappreciated) gift than for one to sacrifice their time willingly – gladly, even – in the pursuit of fellowship with one’s community. Because time is so precious, we often feel compelled either by obligation or attachment to the quality of our lifestyles to spend most of that time either working for pay or cooped up in our own personal pursuits; but the holidays are here to remind us of what life is all about, and therein lies the metaphor of gifting for the holiday: if we have been good boys and girls throughout the year, trying always to do the right thing and scrupulously making sure to provide a way to get through the holidays like Aesop’s ants do, then we are rewarded by a timeless benefactor with the singular opportunity to exchange the gifts of time with those who make us feel connected to the Human Community as a whole.
My favorite quality in others, and in myself, is the incredible alacrity with which we enter the culminating days of the holiday season, because in truth we are eager to let the blinding veil of the man-made world fall away, even if only for a day; because deep inside we want that weight to get off our chests. We’re excited to do that. We understand by instinct that life isn’t about working to accumulate wealth; that’s the frustration, the dukkha that distracts us from connection with the One.
Just let it fall away. What we crave, and what we ultimately deserve, is to spend as much time as we can with our people.
But what am I telling you for? I bet you can’t wait to get away from the old chain, am I right?
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- S. Thomas Summers | The Wisdom of Trolls (Part III)
- Vice | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Lazy Me | ART BLOG
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch « Mama Bear Musings
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
- Daily Prompt: All you ever are is mean | My Endless Rants & Ramblings
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch – Anger & Dishonesty
- Extra Points For Talking About Extra Points | The Jittery Goat
- daily prompt: you’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch. | aimans…..
- Miss Grinch | BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS
- You’re a Mean One, Sweet Lover | Pretty Pleasures
- trust is cyclical | peacefulblessedstar
- Ho, Ho, Hell No!: A Conversation with Santa Claus | Finale to an Entrance
- Destructive Deadly Sins | J. Oliver The Writer
- Betrayed | not4faintheartsblog
- Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents
- Personal qualities:Begging for peace | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Apathy. If no one cares, there’s no problem. – Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | | L5GN
- Life As A Thief | Kansa Muse
- Need i say More? | The Number FiftyTwo
- I Loathe You!!! (Not Really!) | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean one Mr. Grinch | Journey to Wholeness
- Roadhouse | Charron’s Chatter
- Talkative | crookedeyebrows
- You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | The Story of a Guy
- HASTY WHORE AND CHIGGER | hastywords
- Daily Prompt: It Came Without Packages, Boxes, or Bags! | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Vice | jessy’s journeys
- Daily Prompt: The Grinch in Many of Us | Scorched Ice
- Miseries | Life is great
- You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch | Dreams of Pow
- That’s not a matter of opinion, son. | Across the Blank Gap
- Something Wicked… yet Not so Wicked | An Upturned Soul
- AND THEN I SAID BAH HUMBUG! | SERENDIPITY
- Grinchy Mama – Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | Reinvention of Mama
- Channelling my inner Grinch. | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | The Nameless One
- It’s All Mine! | A.C. Melody
- Energy Vampires Beware……(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch | unsolicitedtidbits
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | Basically Beyond Basic
- Negative Attitudes and Lack of Personal Responsibility | theauthorwhoknows
- Faker Than a 2 Dollar Bill | Daily Prompt | lisette
- sitting on the dock of the bay… | Louie Behogan
- Can’t hate you without hating me | Emotional Fitness
- Randomlyabstract’s Blog
- There is just so much bad to choose from AND I like the Grinch | RPMAS
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | A Question of Pretension
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | SIM | ANTICS
- Im Grouchy when…ppl dont shut up | Dredbeauty’s Poetry Blog
- Daily Prompt: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch | Wordz on a Page
- Daily Prompt: Vice | Foto Challenge
- Vice: Daily Post | Destino
- You’re a mean one, Mr Grinch | Kate Murray
- Ignorance is not a Bliss | A Room of One’s Own
- Do I lie? Of course not! | My thoughts on a page.
- Daily Prompt – Acknowledging My Faults | Create & Motivate!
- Daily prompt: Don’t make me curl my lip | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Hey, Grinchy | tuckedintoacorner
- Dashing through the— NO. | writemybrainsout
- Daily Prompt: Vice | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Daily Prompt: You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch | lifebeinggirly
- Lost my first tooth! | Kay kay’s blog