I was chillin’ on the beach when a bottle washed up on the shore. It beckoned me with a wink of sunlight, and my curious nature bade me investigate. The stopper was cork, shiny and supple – I gathered that it’s ocean ride had it’s ups and downs, helping to keep that cork fresh. As I turned it over there was a light, rasping “clunk” from inside, and I saw that there was a rolled up piece of paper in there, just long enough to protrude into the bottom of the bottle’s neck when it was held upright, and the scroll was tied with what appeared to be a simple piece of hemp twine.
So I opened the bottle, shook out the scroll, slipped the twine loop over the top and began to read the words scrawled on the paper in a quick, neat cursive:
Bobbing on a wave,
I bear a message, saying
“Don’t float like I did.
A life of playing catch-up’s
tough; you never get it back.”
A tanka – interesting. I barely had time to reflect on the meaning of the words before another wave-polished bottle lolled up onto the shore and came to rest against a stone – clink!
Curiouser and curiouser.
I found that this bottle too was corked and contained a small scroll identical to the first. To say the least, I was compelled to read this one as well:
Inspired by unawarebutunderlined:
Said, but not spoken —
a heart crushed, but not broken;
phone’s a distance wall.
Said, but not spoken;
a heart poured out, unbroken —
Somehow I remembered the name at the top of the scrolling paper, but I could not remember why; I need to pay more attention, I sometimes think.
Clink! A third bottle. The paper inside contained just three words in that neat, cursive scrawl: “Hoi polloi converge”. Now that struck a bell, but I wasn’t sure why – nor why the heart began to thump heavy beats in my chest.
I looked out at the shore and was greeted by the foaming crest of a wave, upon which rode countless thousands of bottles to join the hundreds that had already washed up on the shore. A feeling of dread filled me as I realized that I was completely dumbfounded – not only as to the bottles’ origins, but to my own as well.
Where am I? How did I get here, to this beach? What the heck is going on?
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
88 other responses have posted so far:
- It’s wonderful world | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Ethical Professor Boynton; Part 2 (Nothing to do with today’s Daily Prompt.) | The Jittery Goat
- Water | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: SOS | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Drown | 365 days of defiance
- Water – Daily Prompt | Linda Long Writes!
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Thoughts of an INFP
- A Summer Invitation | Pairings :: Art + What Goes With It
- S. Thomas Summers: Writing with some Ink and a Hammer | Bit by Bit by Bit: Fiction Writers, Please Lend an Opinion
- Water | The Land Slide Photography
- DP Daily Prompt: SOS | Sabethville
- Bound to the Shore | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: SOS | The Daily Post | L5GN
- (Daily Prompt: SOS) Message in A Bottle | Step It Up
- Perchance to Dream | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Emergency Measures | The Dragon Weyr
- TAKE A MOMENT TO ENVY ME | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Tommia’s Tablet
- “A hundred billion bottles” | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- it will flow | peacefulblessedstar
- daily prompt: SOS | aimanss…
- Water… | Ana Linden
- Call Me, Vogue! | Haiku By Ku
- SOS: A Watery Pic | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: SOS | | Photography, Pain & Life
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Finding Life
- Bean-O | Charron’s Chatter
- Ashes To Earth: May you Rest Peacefully in the Water « psychologistmimi
- Three Layers Of Water | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Basically Beyond Basic
- S.O.S. | Home’s Cool!
- Fate | Buzzy Beez
- Daily Prompt: SOS/Water | Wordz on a Page
- Daily prompt: SOS | laura-in-china
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Iwannabealady
- Nisqually – A Short Story | Kilbo – Chris Kilbourn
- SOS | Passionately Bored
- Message in a Bottle: Eulogy for Joshua and Star – Daily Prompt | Write now?
- Get Me Some Water | Just Visiting This Planet
- DP: Water | As I See It
- Ice Cream | amarllyis
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Life is great
- A message from the universe. | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Mesajul din sticlă | Mort La Datorie
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Like Water | Wanderlein
- Sending Out an SOS | A Sober Head Full Of Confusion
- SOS « One Crazy Mom
- Beacon of Hope | LenzExperiments
- Marina Bay Sands water show | Mishe en Place
- Daily Prompt: Being Mythical! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Schrodinger’s Bottle | djgarcia94
- SOS Water | The Nameless One
- The Giant Wakes Up – Daily Prompt – SOS | Views Splash!
- The Ole Rum Bottle | The Shotgun Girls
- Daily prompt: SOS | The Wandering Poet
- Relaxing on the Beach | theauthorwhoknows
- Message in a Bottle | The Diary of a Lippy Chic
- SOS – Did You Get The Message? | Deliberating Dave
- Weary Dreams of Poe and a Bottle in the Sand | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Water | Karen Gadient
- Message in a bottle | Mindful Digressions
- Message in a bottle. | The Word Trance
- Listen to the Sea | The Silver Leaf Journal
- JUST BREATH | hastywords
- If You’re Reading This… | My Author-itis
- Wahine Wednesdays
- Footprints In a The Sand… | Steve Says….
- Daily Prompt: Water & Senior Portraits | Daily Prompt & Blogging Progress
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Occasional Stuff
- One Starving Activist
- Ocean – Illustration | Dina’s Illustrations
- S.O.S | Writing and Works
- WATER WATER EVERYWHERE | Serendipity
- Within my Reach | Daily Observations
- Captain Nemo’s “Message In A Bottle.” | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Message in a bottle | mombox
- Message In A Bottle | Scribbled Posts
- Daily Prompt: Water | Different Isn’t Wrong, It’s Just Different
- Sunrise | vic briggs
- A Hundred Billion Castaways | Edward Hotspur
- Music and The Water Element | My Days In A Song
- Water | Overcoming Bloglessness
- SOS | Daily Prompt | From Slacker To Scribe
- Message in a Bottle | Love.Books.Coffee.
- Daily Prompt: SOS | Nicole Sloan’s Writing
- Daily Prompt – SOS « My journey to qualify for the Boston Marathon…and everything in between…
Imagining the horror of the scene.
Great take on the prompt. Fascinating and intriguing. 🙂
Thanks; it’s a realized journey into my idea file.
Cool. Glad that you found inspiration from it.
I had never read of the tanka poetry form before. Interesting!
And re: the Daily Prompt– I suggested to Cimmorene that she start incorporating them into her blog– she had some writing prompts (outside WP) before, and she was thinking of dropping them for ones of her own creation, but I said she might get more readership following the WP ones.
That does work, especially if you copy wholesale the link list into the post, like I do – but I’ve been trapped doing them for a while and realize that once you belly up to the udder it can be a little hard to pull away to do your own work, so just so you’re both forearmed!
Yeah, yet Cimmorene is trying to build readership, and doing your own prompts, per se, doesn’t seem to attract them too much.
She’s been doing a lot of hard work and I’m hoping she’ll get a little more acknowledgment.
If any of them had booze, you’re golden.
Can you imagine how frusrating if they were all my ideas and not a single time had I written down “Wild Turkey”?
Or even better, treat them like drink orders. ‘Suddenly across the waves a bottle appeared. When it arrived on the sandy beach, it turned out to be a tequila sunrise. Just the way I like it.’
This is a magic world I could get into.
Absolutely spellbinding imagery
Great post. Amazing what you did with that prompt.
Thank you Olga. 🙂
[…] Bottled Up by Rob’s Surf […]